Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Default Easiest way to extract 7 minute portion from longer session

I've done this before but in an incredibly tedious manner. Knowing Pro Tools, there should be a relatively easy way of doing this.

There is a seven minute portion of a much longer multitrack session that has been edited and now needs to be sent from one person to another. What is the easiest way of getting rid of the rest of the session before sending it over?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Easiest way to extract 7 minute portion from longer session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I've done this before but in an incredibly tedious manner. Knowing Pro Tools, there should be a relatively easy way of doing this.

There is a seven minute portion of a much longer multitrack session that has been edited and now needs to be sent from one person to another. What is the easiest way of getting rid of the rest of the session before sending it over?

Thanks!
Is this after a mix down (bounce or printed into a stereo file) or before?

If it's after just select the portion, create a new audio track and print it to it then you can export the new track by itself. If it's before you can always select all the tracks portion you don't want to keep and and press delete. Save as a new session and send that.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Is this after a mix down (bounce or printed into a stereo file) or before?

If it's after just select the portion, create a new audio track and print it to it then you can export the new track by itself. If it's before you can always select all the tracks portion you don't want to keep and and press delete. Save as a new session and send that.
This is before a mixdown.

So deleting the unwanted regions and saving a new copy of the session...that definitely won't include all the audio in the audio bin? Only the audio in the timeline? Or is there a specific way the audio has to be removed from the timeline?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
A little more specificly:
Delete everything that's not needed in the timeline.
Consolidate the remaining regions, so they become separate files in the audio folder.
Remove all unused regions in the menu of the region bin.
NOW: Do a "Save session as..." and select copy audio files in the dialogue.
Close the session without saving.
Now you have your original session intact as well as the new stripped down one, with only the needed files in the audio folder.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
This is before a mixdown.

So deleting the unwanted regions and saving a new copy of the session...that definitely won't include all the audio in the audio bin? Only the audio in the timeline? Or is there a specific way the audio has to be removed from the timeline?

Thanks!
It will keep the portion in the audio bin.

There's an easier way than what I wrote, but I didn't remember the shortcut so I wanted to make sure first.

Make the selection of all the parts of the tracks you want to keep, then use ctrl+T (trim to selection) this will create new clips in your bin clip, and delete the unselected parts from the timeline. Then use CRTL+SHIFT+U (select unused) and then CRTL+SHIFT+B (Clear...) and you can then choose to delete or remove. Delete will completely delete the files from your disk. Remove will simply remove them from the session. Before doing this I would make a back up of that session folder, just incase you want to keep it intact for future work.

You can also use the trim to selection (CTRL+T) on a stereo file (as what I was explaining first). It will automatically delete (soft delete as the original still remains in the bin) what's prior and after the selection. Then you can export the selected clip.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks Ben and Manny!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Hello (first post! be gentle),

Just wanted to say thank you for this question and the provided answers. While I too was hoping there was an easier way to simply select a portion of the timeline and export only that audio/midi/automation, I believe this will work for me as well -- though deleting is scary

I had a live jam that ran almost 8 hours, and 50 songs, and need to pull each individual song to it's own session for "fiddling with" as my semi-powerful PC is actually choking on CPU/Disk trying to navigate my 50 memory locations I know running 16 tracks for 8 hours is not the right thing to do, but I had no one to run the board/PC so it was just... live, man. Interesting things happen when it's Live

In short, thank you for this information, and glad to be a part of the DUC.