Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 04:52 AM

Default Free Trial version of 12?

I installed the demo version of 11 and can't get it to work on my machine. I'd like to try 12 and see if it works before delving any further into a painful troubleshooting exercise but the Free Trial link only offers 11.

Anyone know how to get a try-before-you-buy trial license for 12?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Free trial version of 12?

you have an ilok right? if not, then its a $50 trial, because thats how much the ilok costs

or you can wait for pro tools first to get a bit of an idea of 12, but like a small idea, without an ilok
Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I installed the demo version of 11 and can't get it to work on my machine. I'd like to try 12 and see if it works before delving any further into a painful troubleshooting exercise but the Free Trial link only offers 11.

Anyone know how to get a try-before-you-buy trial license for 12?
What are your computer specifications?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkerde View Post
you have an ilok right? if not, then its a $50 trial, because thats how much the ilok costs
I have an iLok 2. As I said in my original post, I've already tried 11 which I couldn't have done without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkerde View Post
or you can wait for pro tools first to get a bit of an idea of 12, but like a small idea, without an ilok
The issue isn't the iLok, it's finding the download for 12. As I said, the Free Trial page offers 11, not 12. Do you know where I can find the demo for 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
What are your computer specifications?
I don't understand what that has to do with finding a link to download a demo of PT12HD, but in case it helps:

MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2009
3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
1TB SATA SSD System Drive (Crucial BX100)
2TB SATA 5400 RPM HDD (Samsung M9T)
Using built-in audio via headphone jack for testing

Do you know off the top of your head if a demo version of 12 is available for download?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM

At the present time, the only way to demo PT12 is to buy a one month subscription.

However, there is little difference between the 11 and 12. Any particular reason why you need to try 12?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
At the present time, the only way to demo PT12 is to buy a one month subscription.
Thanks! Neat idea, but I'm philosophically opposed to the idea of paying to try something a vendor is trying to sell me. It's like paying to test drive a new car.

In this case, taking the analogy further, I've tried to test drive 11 but the car wouldn't start. I've looked around the dealership for help, but it appears the only avenue available is to pay the service department to put the car up on the hoist. It seems to me that Avid should WANT to help me get it working, because doing so results in them getting my money on an ongoing basis.

Quote:
However, there is little difference between the 11 and 12. Any particular reason why you need to try 12?
Other threads here seem to suggest that there are changes under the hood. Also Avid told our Chief Engineer at work that 12 solves the problems we're having with ISIS Interplay, which would seem to suggest there are changes to 12 that are not apparent to the user but affect how it works.

My hope is that 12 overcomes whatever is preventing 11 from working on my particular rig. The quickest and easiest way to find out is to install it and try it, but I'm not prepared to buy it before knowing if it will work with my particular setup. If not, there are plenty of alternatives that will.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Good luck in getting it all working. It may be possible for you to get a free one month subscription if your contact at Avid (who says 12 should work for you) has the pull.

I haven't seen any "What's New" postings about PT12 so it's hard to imagine what has been improved. The hood is locked down.

I don't know if the free product will be ported to 12. It may be some time since it is a new product.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Good luck in getting it all working.
Thanks! I'm really hoping I can, because I'd rather not have to learn a new system and sacrifice the ability to easily open old sessions. For all I know, other apps may now be better than Pro Tools, but inertia being what it is, I don't want to expend the energy to find out unless I have to! :)

Quote:
It may be possible for you to get a free one month subscription if your contact at Avid (who says 12 should work for you) has the pull.
Now that's an interesting idea. I don't actually have a contact at Avid per se -- I've only spoken to our Chief Engineer, not whoever he's dealing with at Avid, but maybe he can put in me in touch.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Neat idea, but I'm philosophically opposed to the idea of paying to try something a vendor is trying to sell me. It's like paying to test drive a new car.

In this case, taking the analogy further, I've tried to test drive 11 but the car wouldn't start. I've looked around the dealership for help, but it appears the only avenue available is to pay the service department to put the car up on the hoist. It seems to me that Avid should WANT to help me get it working, because doing so results in them getting my money on an ongoing basis.
This is one of the best analogies I heard in a while. Good one.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I don't actually have a contact at Avid per se -- I've only spoken to our Chief Engineer, not whoever he's dealing with at Avid, but maybe he can put in me in touch.
Nope. Runs too close to violating our Code of Business Conduct which says it's unethical to use my position as as employee to ask vendors for personal favours. I'm inclined to agree. While this may not actually BE unethical, it's important that we not give the APPEARANCE of crossing the line.