Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

For the 2nd time, feel free to move this to the other Thread if it bugs you....

What more information beyond this do you want me to provide??

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with OSX 10.8.5 running PT10.

CPU - 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (Upgrading to 16 Gig Ram from OWC)

Disk - Macintosh HD

Graphics - NVIDIA GE Force GT 650M 512MB

OSX 10.8.5

Ser. # CO2HKHRRDV33

I'm familiar with what OS's both my Pro Tools need, not sure why the link to compatibility page?????

I'm recontacting Apple asking for clarification as to why I can't run Split Partitions.. OSX for PT10 & High Sierra for PT2018. Maybe it has to do with my Computer??? Maybe the Hard Drive, I don't know?

I'm waiting for responses from PreSonus. I don't use Studio Live Software??? Not sure why your statement???? I already know I need to run High Sierra with PT2018.. Later, Mojave when PT works out the issues....

I still don't get why some can go to Sweetwater website with OSX 10.6 & I can't with OSX 10.8.5??? I do use them for Tech Support on Products I've bought from them...

Last edited by larsongs; 05-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Here is the amazing thing. I post above pointing out you could provide the EMC# Model# or just clarify if this is a 13” or 15” model. And you don’t do it and then you ask again what other info folks want. But if you have already confirmed it can take 16GB then that is most of the question addressed.

Now I recall all you other threads like this. What an total waste of time.

Why are you contacting Apple etc. again. As I’ve already told you there is no reason your Mac cannot dual boot. If it’s lack of disk space etc. *you* work it out.... how much space is the boot system consuming now? *you* need to sort this stuff out. Saying your drive is “Macintosh HD” is not useful is it? Customer support organizations are not there to provide you with basic systems administration help. You come here keep asking about stuff and then go away and seem to be trying to confirm what you are told here, and instead get yourself all confused and come back again and start yet another thread about stuff.

If you know the OS dependencies then why are you here asking questions? You got the interface drivers sorted out as well? Get going and actually go test stuff.

Here is my advice: you do not have the skills to do this. Leave it all alone. If you need to run PT 2018 in future, go buy a whole new Mac.

Thanks for posting you serial number again. I’m pretty convinced you don’t even bother to read things folks post in replies to you. I’m done with you.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Lars:
Give it up already dude. Like Darryl says you refuse to answer the questions people ask of you for whatever reasons known only to you. I suggest giving up on using a computer for recording and just get a Zoom H4N and be done with it. You've worn out Darryl's patience and now mine as well.

It's a good thing in a way that you don't post this kind of stuff over on Gearslutz or else they'd have your lunch. And then some

Also what is this 'other thread' you talk about? Got a link for it?

QAPLA!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 PM

What an unbelievable Forum?? Is this an actual Forum owned & operated by Avid? Is this how they treat their Customers? Is this really Tech Support? Or just a bunch --- ----- who get off on shaming & hiding behind their Computers to be bad asses?

I thought a long time ago I told you it was 15"... WTF difference does that make?

What is the big deal if I call Apple, PT, OWC, or whoever when I need Tech Support? I paid for that Service when I bought their Product... Why is it the only Tech Support Forum on the Internet that is full of rude, obnoxious & unbelievably critical happens to be the Platform I chose to buy for Recording? I don't get this grief anywhere else?

Evidently at some point I rubbed some of you the wrong way after your attacks against me when I had the Balls to stand up to you...

Obviously the intent here is to not help me... I'm like WTF!!!! I told you I was getting a new Computer way back in the other Thread... What happens? You tell me why would you do that? Do this instead... Upgrade the Ram, blah blah blah.... So I think ok.... Start down that path & it's one problem after another & your suggestions ain't working for me.. So far. I come here for guidance & what do I get? What dumb ass you are Lars, get a Zoom... Better yet quit recording, blah blah blah.... I don't know what you guys problem is? Seriously! If you don't want to help people why are you here? No life? What???

Obviously, you have no interest in helping me.....
Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
Is this really Tech Support?
NO
Quote:
Why is it the only Tech Support Forum on the Internet that is full of rude, obnoxious & unbelievably critical happens to be the Platform I chose to buy for Recording? I don't get this grief anywhere else?
Wrong again. Still not a Tech Support Forum.
This is a User community forum. There are people from Avid on these forums but if you want Avid Tech Support, you go through the ASC (Avid Support Center) in your account -- if you have a currently ongoing support subscription with Avid.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 PM

This is a Pro Tools *user* forum... of other Pro Tools users. You asked other users here for advice in the past, after a lot of pain, you got useful advice and then did nothing but go around in circles like a headless chicken, calling multiple support organizations (WTF for?) checking if what you were told was correct instead of just working out the final bits for out yourself and actually doing what was suggested.

Had you bothered to actually you know, do something for yourself, and come back with questions like "I think I am going to install x.x.x. of Pro Tools but I am worried about compatibility with x.y.z then folks here will help you.

Ya think when we spend time working out you can do stuff (like I've checked before your laptop is upgradable to latest macOS... you have the last MBP actually upgradable to Mojave, you have a mac with a internal drive easily upgradable to large SSD if needed, etc. there are *no* frigging issues supporting Pro Tools 2018, if you upgrade memory as also described in lots and lots of painful detail before. And there are not any issues dual booting, etc... but any idiot, including you, can check all that with some quick Google searches. Why do you need to keep calling support organizations? This has taken you months? The actual bloody installs of the memory upgrade and all the software should should have taken a few hours). But instead you come back all confused saying things can't be done, but not sure why. So you are saying we are all wrong? You expect the users here to keep going around in circles with you about this? What did you other slaves die of?

If you want to contact Avid support. Purchase an ASC and call them, but as you've already found out Avid support is not going to provide you hand holding for basic systems management/integration.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you have no interest in helping me.....
Perhaps those trying to help you know your claim that it can't be done is patently false. They ask questions for clarity but instead of information that might reveal an untold detail that makes it true, they get largely ignored.

Why do they know your claim is false?
  1. You can partition and dual boot your Macbook Pro.
  2. You can run Mountain Lion on one partition.
  3. You can run a newer OS like High Sierra or maybe even Mojave on the other partition.
  4. Pro Tools 10 will run on the Mountain Lion partition.
  5. Pro Tools 2019.5 will run on the newer partition.
  6. Presonus' Universal Control v1.7.6 is listed as compatible with Mountain Lion through Mojave.

So, barring any other information provided by you proving any of the above to be false, we don't understand how you can claim that it won't work.

Caveats:
  1. You may need a bigger hard drive.
  2. You certainly can make do with more RAM.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Perhaps those trying to help you know your claim that it can't be done is patently false. They ask questions for clarity but instead of information that might reveal an untold detail that makes it true, they get largely ignored.

Why do they know your claim is false?
  1. You can partition and dual boot your Macbook Pro.
  2. You can run Mountain Lion on one partition.
  3. You can run a newer OS like High Sierra or maybe even Mojave on the other partition.
  4. Pro Tools 10 will run on the Mountain Lion partition.
  5. Pro Tools 2019.5 will run on the newer partition.
  6. Presonus' Universal Control v1.7.6 is listed as compatible with Mountain Lion through Mojave.

So, barring any other information provided by you proving any of the above to be false, we don't understand how you can claim that it won't work.

Caveats:
  1. You may need a bigger hard drive.
  2. You certainly can make do with more RAM.
An answer to Caveat #1 is I think the biggest missing nugget of info we could be given. Why? It's possible that MBP only has a 5400 rpm 500 GB spinner. There are other drive options from Apple like a 750 GB 7200 rpm spinner or three ssd's (128/256/512 GB). If Lars has the big ssd that greatly simplifies things. Split it into two 256 GB partitions and have at it.

Somehow I doubt he has that but just the base 500 GB 5400 rpm spinner. My reason for that thinking is he only has 4 gig of ram and probably got a base model from Best Buy

But really the needed h/w upgrades are super simple and OWC has videos on how to do it along with the tools necessary.

QAPLA!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Think we've covered all this before. Multiple times. Upgrade DRAM. Bung a Samsung SATA SSD in an external tray. Partition it, stick a new clean Mojave install (why mess with High Sierra now?) on a partition, install PT 2018.x (or 2019 when available), ILM, drivers, plugins etc. and test as you go. (and Disable hyper-threading for now on Mojave). This all takes how long? Once working OK, clone current HD to other SSD partition. Install the new SSD in the MBP. Half a day to a day's work in total, going slow, even for a MBP opening newbie. And if mine that MBP would have a second Samsung SATA III SSD audio drive replacing the optical drive and that optical drive in an external dock if still needed.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with OSX 10.8.5 running PT10.

CPU - 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Disk - Macintosh HD

Graphics - NVIDIA GE Force GT 650M 512MB

MacBookPro Mid 2012

OSX 10.8.5

Ser. # CO2HKHRRDV33

I have another Thread on the Forum re; upgrading to PT2018..

I wanted to keep my PT10 get a new Computer & run PT2018 using my PreSonus 16.4.2 Interface.

It was suggested I upgrade my RAM to 16 Gig & I could possible do split Partitions & run both....

I've been Ping Ponged back & forth between 1. Apple, 2. PreSonus & 3. PT Tech Support ( I'll refer to them as 1,2,&3) & am running into several Issues...

First I did a System Back up to an External Hard Drive. Then upgraded to High Sierra only to find out PT10 won't run on that OS.

I called 1,2,&3 & it's sounding like I can't run 2 partitions on my MBP with 2 different OS's & both versions of PT.. Also PreSonus may not work with both. Either on one Computer with split Partitiions running both Platforms or with 2 seaprate Computers each running seaparate Platforms.

I want to keep my lifetime version of PT10 on my MBP but would also like PT2108. It looks like I have to get a separate Computer to do that... Further it's looking like I have to get a separate Interface too...

I've been accused of making things really complicated... Can anyone offer a possible simpler suggestion how to accomplish my goal?

Thanks,

L