Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Zebra2 and Sylenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Are the sound banks for Nexus2 qualitatively better than what I have or can get with Alchemy? Also, I have my Yamaha Motif XS8 for which I have massive sound banks. The sounds I hear from Nexus and what I have in Alchemy or the Motif don't sound all that different to my ears. I'm thinking it might be good to take my foot off the G.A.S....Gear Acquisition Syndrome!
Hi Donald

Nexus2 is probably THE BEST Rompler on the maket and there ain't no comparison to anything else out there! Basically EVERY song on the charts have been make using Nexus2, you do need atleast 5-6 expansions (latest edm/pop/dance) expasions as the Standard presets aren't that great nor are the sounds BUT compared to AIR and Alchemy it is another world. I will challenge you to make try and recreate sounds from nexus2 on anything u said you have now, won't come even a little bit close, not a chance. Nexus2 has a very distinct sound and as a rompler it has VERY believable soundscape. I mean we have invested lots of cash on external synths like : Prophet 5 V3 / motif ES8 / KORG KingKorg / Jupiter 6/ Jupiter 80 / Roland SH-201 / Fantom G / Tyros 4 /Quasimidi Raven / EMU Rack synths 4pcs / Korg KROSS demo unit / Nordlead 2 and 3 / Virus Polar II / Moog Voyager / Dave Smith / Juno 106 / Roland SH-101 RED w/grip / Korg SV-1 73 Keys / Akai MPC4000 Fully Loaded / Akai Keystation 49 w/Ipad4 and LOTS of softsynths on it / and we can of course do GREAT sounds on them BUT we always end up using NEXUS2 and PhalanX fully loaded with Beatport and Vengeance Sound samples on every song.

I have been buying synths for 14 yrs and saved the ones I love, hence the sweet collection but thats what it is, a Collection and to get sounds like the ones we want I would spend days on end programming them and not come close anyways or maybe I would but the lazyness makes me go for the software romplers and samplers everytime

No brainer as people say here: You have to have Nexus2 if you are making EDM/House as you said a few days ago,

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Am looking for a license to buy
Sorry, mine not for sale!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I have been buying synths for 14 yrs and saved the ones I love, hence the sweet collection but thats what it is, a Collection and to get sounds like the ones we want I would spend days on end programming them and not come close anyways or maybe I would but the lazyness makes me go for the software romplers and samplers everytime

No brainer as people say here: You have to have Nexus2 if you are making EDM/House as you said a few days ago,

Christopher
So, how much is Nexus paying you to be their spokesperson, Chris? Seriously, that's a pretty good endorsement. I'm not sure I'd entirely agree that you can't create or get the other VI"s to sound as good. All sounds are made up of the same basic stuff: waveforms! If you can generate waveforms and you know how to manipulate them, ie filter, envelopes, process etc...then you ought to be able to create the sounds you want/need. What I do see in Nexus is there seems to be more options on the waveforms (samples) to start with and some pretty layered processing options. Alchemy does have a lot of that as well, though admittedly not quite as much. However, coupled with Alchemy's plugin CamelSpace, there's little you can't do! I have both.

That said, I will admit that Nexus does have a rich sound. It would be interesting to have a blind test of sounds. Create a track and create leads, and other trance-like elements using different VI"s, such as those we've talked about here. Create a different version of the main track featuring a different VI each time and then see which one's are preferred by a group of pro judges. It would be interesting to see would they pick the Nexus tracks more often? Would it be more evenly distributed amongst all of them? Would something else end up on top? My bet would be on a more even distribution in a blind test. Assuming of course, that ALL the VI's used had their sounds expertly programmed!

The other thing about Nexus is that it does seem to be a fairly self-contained unit given its fx and layering and all that. Something that, admittedly, is missing from some of the others, and has to be made up for by layering other plugin fx. In that respect, I'm sure Nexus speeds up workflow. For myself, I'm not all that impressed by the fx add-ons that come with so many of the VI's. Quite often I bypass them anyways and go to my favs - ie H Delay from Waves, or Waves IR or Liquidsonics or IKM Classic Studio Reverbs, etc. I think I get more specific control with the dedicated plugins versus the onboard fx. I'm not saying I never use them, though, because I do. Depends on what sort of sound I want.

But, I will also say, that Nexus is impressive and there's a reason its a EDM/Trance staple. So, I think I will go that route. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 PM

if you turn off the reverb on Nexus2, the sounds are great. You can tweak them a lot considering its a ROMpler. The expansion packs are usable sounds.
I have Vacuum and Vacuum Pro. Though the synths look great and have good sounds, i have yet to use ANY sound as i dont find them usable.

I do most of my programing on Massive and Hybrid. I absolutely love Hybrid. I find so much of that synth usable and workable and the interface is wonderful to use.

Vanguard and Nexus2, the presets and sound packs are fairly close and you can adjust and tweak and are very usable. Nexus sounds are very common on hits for the last few years. Despite being a ROMpler, sounds from it show up in nearly every remix i do somehow. The sounds just fit.

as i said, i havent used Sylenth in a few years, but at one time it was used a lot in commercial hits.

you can also check out Waves Element. It has a lot of usable sounds/ presets to tweak and a nice interface for programming but it is a major CPU hog.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 01-26-2014, 09:41 PM

I use Hybrid a lot as well. I find it easy to program and create my own sounds. I have decided to go the Nexus 2 route and should have it shortly.

I'm also finding Loom to be very usable. You can really tweak up the sounds with it and get some unique sounds with it.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Nexus2 is probably THE BEST Rompler on the maket and there ain't no comparison to anything else out there!
No comparison? What about Omnisphere. When I got Omni I stopped using Nexus all together because the sound quality is rubbish. Its like a Casio to a Roland.

As far a Sylenth goes, I tried wrapping in XP and it didn't work in protools so you might want to demo it before you buy to see if it works.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 AM

I am a satisfied Omnisphere user :) never needed another synth
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
No comparison? What about Omnisphere. When I got Omni I stopped using Nexus all together because the sound quality is rubbish. Its like a Casio to a Roland.

As far a Sylenth goes, I tried wrapping in XP and it didn't work in protools so you might want to demo it before you buy to see if it works.
Well to each his own! On the songs we produce for some of the biggest artists today in Pop/dance and Top40 we would never use something like Omnisphere or anything from spectrasonics but all depends on where you are in the business and what level and what music people make. We have basically every synth and library there is and for the music we make that have to sound a certain way we can't live without Nexus or PhalanX and a little bit of Tone2 ElectraX aswell

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Artists Like ??!
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well to each his own! On the songs we produce for some of the biggest artists today in Pop/dance and Top40 we would never use something like Omnisphere or anything from spectrasonics but all depends on where you are in the business and what level and what music people make. We have basically every synth and library there is and for the music we make that have to sound a certain way we can't live without Nexus or PhalanX and a little bit of Tone2 ElectraX aswell
You use the seq and arpegiators of Nexus or do you just use the leads? I would have thought the arps weren't good enough to produce at that standard.

And I dont know why you wouldnt use Omni given its a sampler of all the major synths like Jupiter, Prophecy, Nord, TX-816 etc, etc that you hear in everything on radio anyway.