Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Default PT/HD Native - Got to assume there's a new & improved card coming right?

I'm not trying to start a rumor but I'm thinkin' with the trade in policy of finding a Mix Core for 200ish on ePay & for 1595 or whatever getting a PT/HD Card with software....there's got to be a PT/HDX Native thingie around the corner. No?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Re: PT/HD Native - Got to assume there's a new & improved card coming right?

Huh? HDXnative? What would that be?

HDnative is native with card to connect an AVID Interface.
HDX are cards with DSP power.
Native is PT with no hardware or third party interface.

what would an "improved" HDnative card be according to you?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Default Re: PT/HD Native - Got to assume there's a new & improved card coming right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Huh? HDXnative? What would that be?

HDnative is native with card to connect an AVID Interface.
HDX are cards with DSP power.
Native is PT with no hardware or third party interface.

what would an "improved" HDnative card be according to you?

heh, well maybe 'X' isn't the right designation.
I dunno...it's a small card - seems they could fit more on it to do more whether that's DSP based or not and make native less host dependant. I'm just throwing it out there. There's probably something in between an HDX Card & a Native Card or not.

I have no idea.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Nope, HDX and HD Native are the current and the future for many years to come. The cost to get into an HDX system with an I/O is WELL BELOW what it has ever been before. And for those that don't need TDM processing but still want what an HD system was capable of otherwise, HD Native was a game changer. I'll be the first to admit I didn't buy it at first----I thought it was a bunch of marketing, but when you really spend time with it and understand the market it really makes sense.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM

A couple of points:

The tradeup special for $1595 has been going since about March of this year, so it has nothing to do with the recent release of HDX.

Also, HD Native IS the in-between card. It does more than allow the HD interfaces to be hooked up. It does have some processing on it, mainly handling the I/O. As people are discovering more an more, this takes a very significant load off the computer, and allows you to run at a lower buffer with much more tracks and plugins than you could in the same session with a firewire or usb interface.

So if it added any more processing, it would start to become an HDX lite, and I doubt that they will do that.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Nope, HDX and HD Native are the current and the future for many years to come. The cost to get into an HDX system with an I/O is WELL BELOW what it has ever been before. And for those that don't need TDM processing but still want what an HD system was capable of otherwise, HD Native was a game changer. I'll be the first to admit I didn't buy it at first----I thought it was a bunch of marketing, but when you really spend time with it and understand the market it really makes sense.
You think? I dunno, I guess timing is everything I suppose. I did decent trading in a Mix Core off of eBay that I owned for less than a day and swapping up to HD1 Accel and adding another card and an Aurora 16. Trading from here to a HDX/Omni Bundle I suppose will be about the same cost for me...except I'll have to add the cost of new Mac Pro also.

Anyway, just curious. My rig works great for me. I've got a first generation Mac Pro though, even though I'd like to try Native - I'd have to up the Mac but for that matter to go to HDX I'll have to up the Mac anyway.

To be continued.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Your first generation Mac Pro should work with HD Native, according to the specs. Yours is the "Woodcrest" model, if I'm not mistaken.

It's only HDX that needs the 2009 (Nehalem) or newer.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Your first generation Mac Pro should work with HD Native, according to the specs. Yours is the "Woodcrest" model, if I'm not mistaken.

It's only HDX that needs the 2009 (Nehalem) or newer.
Right, it's supposed to. I should have worded it differently. Thanks. On my Mac it's not going to beat my HD2 Accel for performance though, no way. I wish it would. I want to try it though. I'm real happy with my rig as is but the latest, greatest is always enticing...especially if it works & sounds great.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 AM

It would be nice if you could borrow one and try it out.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Yeah, that would be nice. I'm tempted to buy a Mix Core & trade up to the Native Card & try it in this machine. If it's decent, I'd consider selling some stuff and upping the Mac Pro. I only track a very few instruments at a time...like two. I like being able to use plugs if I choose while tracking and record a track to a full mix if I absolutely have to.

The main thing is though I mix and with HD I like being able to basically pull up anything I want...like auxes, plugs whatever & be able to pull it off. I don't know that Native can do that on my Mac but if it can with a 8-12 core...I'd consider moving over....as long as I don't see Mac raise the buffer error thing...ever, almost ever. :)