Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Default Will HD10 running in Native Mode see the Blue I/O?

The subject pretty much says it all but I want to clarify a few things...

With PT9 you can run the Native engine instead of TDM but it won't see the Digi/Avid I/O only built in or other core audio cards. If I upgrade my PT9/HD3 system to PT 10 HD will I be able to run it in Native mode with my digital 192 I/O??

Other points for running PTHD10 in native mode on Legacy HD3...

1. In native mode is it a 64bit summing mixer?
2. Do you get 16000 sample ADC in native mode?
3. Can you run AAX plugs in native mode?

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Will HD10 running in Native Mode see the Blue I/O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
If I upgrade my PT9/HD3 system to PT 10 HD will I be able to run it in Native mode with my digital 192 I/O?
No.
Quote:
1. In native mode is it a 64bit summing mixer?
Pass.
Quote:
2. Do you get 16000 sample ADC in native mode?
Yes with non-HD hardware.
Quote:
3. Can you run AAX plugs in native mode?
Yes. Avid Audio Extension is Native and DSP.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
No.
how do you know this? Have you got HD10 & tried this out?

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Pro Tools 10 Playback Engine is the same as Pro Tools 9. That is to run Native you need either ASIO/CoreAudio or a 003/Eleven Rack.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
how do you know this? Have you got HD10 & tried this out?
HD I/Os have, and will always need an HD card to be usable. If you run Native, you aren't using your TDM hardware.

That being said... all of the current TDM hardware is still entirely useable with HD10. You can even still use a 192 with a TDX card.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
HD I/Os have, and will always need an HD card to be usable. If you run Native, you aren't using your TDM hardware.
Yes you need the core card but, the last part of your statement simply isn't true, there is a core audio driver for the 192 I/O's so why couldn't it be possible to run ProTools through the Avid Core Audio driver in Native engine mode? I'm not suggesting the ability to run TDM plugs just the 192 I/O. This should be possible.

Also back in PT's 6 it was entirely possible to run PT's 6LE using the 192 as the I/O. Not many people knew this as it wasn't 'officially' supported & later they removed this ability.

Quote:
That being said... all of the current TDM hardware is still entirely useable with HD10. You can even still use a 192 with a TDX card.
Yes but it doesn't give you 16000 ADC or AAX support & I'm pretty sure it also doesn't give you the 64bit summing mixer because it's still running the fixed point DSP. So essentially you're getting PT's 9 functionality with a few extra features like clip gain & disk cache. Is that worth $1000 to you?

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Yes but it doesn't give you 16000 ADC or AAX support & I'm pretty sure it also doesn't give you the 64bit summing mixer because it's still running the fixed point DSP. So essentially you're getting PT's 9 functionality with a few extra features like clip gain & disk cache. Is that worth $1000 to you?
Clip Gain is a real game changer for me. Now that I have it, I can easily justify the $300 from PT9 to PT10.

Disk Cache is something that really intrigues me. The more I read about it, the more I understand why it is such a premium feature. It essentially takes disk speed completely out of the equation, and once you have a session loaded into RAM, it will just fly like never before. Even without Disk Cache, PT10 is a remarkable improvement in speed even on my old C2D Macbook Pro. Disk Cache really makes me think more and more about hunting down a CPTK license.

I completely understand why TDM users are unhappy about the $1000 price tag. The cards limit you from the new internal mixer, you can't take advantage of the 16k ADC limit. At the same time, I can't really blame Avid for trying to entice you to trade in for a new TDX card... but there also needs to be a grace period for plugins to transition to AAX.

To be completely honest, though. If I had HD|N, I wouldn't even hesitate on the $1000 upgrade price.

Is it steep? Yes.

Is it worth it? I'd say so.

It'd be nice of Avid to make it more like, $700 or $800... but the new features really do add a completely new workflow to Pro Tools, and with almost no learning curve. It's up to the user in the end, as always. Personally, I am not disappointed in PT10 at all.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 AM

I get all that & as you say it's going to have to be a gradual update for existing HD users especially making sure that plug-ins will be compatible etc.

What would make the $1000 upgrade more attractive for me would be to allow the 192 interface I/O to work in 'Native' engine mode. Then I could use a lot more of the new features & transition more gracefully. I could also open older sessions with TDM plugs in 'TDM' engine mode. I can only think of one reason why they would prevent this from working this way... Forced HD Native or HDX hardware sales.

Still I'll wait for someone who has actually updated to PT 10 HD with a legacy HD & blue interface to check whether they've actually blocked the ability to use a 192 I/O in native engine mode. it would need to be available in the core audio manager.

Brisbane Australia
Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Still I'll wait for someone who has actually updated to PT 10 HD with a legacy HD & blue interface to check whether they've actually blocked the ability to use a 192 I/O in native engine mode. it would need to be available in the core audio manager.
Doesn't work. The Avid CoreAudio Manager cannot be selected from Playback Engine nor can it be added to an aggregate I/O device.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM

But it would be nice if it worked!!! The upgrade price for HD users would be more bearable if there was a way to use CoreAudio or ASIO drivers with the HD hardware so we could reap the full benefits of big ADC and the new mix engine albeit at the cost of losing TDM....