Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Default 2019 MacBook Pro hardware options - best for Pro Tools?

Hi!

We need to buy a MacBook Pro for a Sound Technician's Course and Pro Tools will be the software used. Been doing some reading and wondering about the configuration options...It'll be the 15 inch 8-core i9 unit:

What options would you rank from most to least likely to affect performance?

Processor
2.3 GHz. boost to 4.8 vs 2.4 GHz, boost to 5.0

Memory
16 GB vs 32 GB

GPU
Radeon Pro 560X vs Radeon Pro Vega 16 vs Radeon Pro Vega 20

I'm thinking of maxing out the processor and the RAM and keeping the base GPU.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Re: 2019 MacBook Pro hardware options - best for Pro Tools?

I think the maximum benefit would be achieved by maxing the RAM to 32GB. This is mostly because the i9 processor is already a beast. Of course, this depends on your workflow, the number of tracks, and how you use VI's and plugins.

Next, I would look to bump up the processor. Protools has always been processor hungry so the more processing power you have the better. The speed bump is only marginal but every little bit helps in Protools. Once again it depends on your workflow, the number of tracks, and how you use VI's and plugins.

So you got the two top options correct.

As for the GPU, neither will offer much of a performance improvement for Protools, but if you are driving multiple monitors via USB-C/Thunderbolt to Display Port at high resolutions and refresh rates, the better GPU will run more effortlessly. I doubt you will notice much a difference, however.

One final word. The SSD in the MPB is not replaceable so get the size you need. You can use external Thunderbolt drives but that internal PCI-E SSD is blazing fast. For most projects, it can handle the full load.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 PM

32Gb memory and upgrade the internal ssd drive to 1T or more if you can afford it. PT isn't graphic intensive so whatever it comes with.

Also include a backup external drive incased the system farts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlainIbanez View Post
Hi!

We need to buy a MacBook Pro for a Sound Technician's Course and Pro Tools will be the software used. Been doing some reading and wondering about the configuration options...It'll be the 15 inch 8-core i9 unit:

What options would you rank from most to least likely to affect performance?

Processor
2.3 GHz. boost to 4.8 vs 2.4 GHz, boost to 5.0

Memory
16 GB vs 32 GB

GPU
Radeon Pro 560X vs Radeon Pro Vega 16 vs Radeon Pro Vega 20

I'm thinking of maxing out the processor and the RAM and keeping the base GPU.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 PM

^^^ Good advice. Small CPU speed increase you will never notice. Absolutely get 32 Gb... you can use with disk cache etc and that's ensuring a long life, as software always keeps eating memory.

How much storage do you need? remembering all sessions, Vi samples etc. can be run from the internal super-fast PCIe SSD. Hence it's a good idea to max that our within reason... even at the idiot tax that apple charges for their SSD.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses...great to get advice from experienced folks. Will definitely get 32MB RAM.

So I'm thinking of keeping the base 8-core i9 processor and instead of spending on the upgrade for that, just spend the $480 to get to 1TB SSD instead of 512GB. 2TB is $1200 and I think that's getting silly price-wise.

What would be a typical Pro Tools audio file size? I'm sure there's a ton of factors to look at but are we talking of a scale from hundreds of MB to some GB?

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
What would be a typical Pro Tools audio file size?
24bits * 48000 samples/sec = 1152000 bits/sec = 144000 bytes/sec (about 141kB/sec)

Multiply with the number of your tracks and length of your song
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses...great to get advice from experienced folks. Will definitely get 32MB RAM.

So I'm thinking of keeping the base 8-core i9 processor and instead of spending on the upgrade for that, just spend the $480 to get to 1TB SSD instead of 512GB. 2TB is $1200 and I think that's getting silly price-wise.

What would be a typical Pro Tools audio file size? I'm sure there's a ton of factors to look at but are we talking of a scale from hundreds of MB to some GB?

Thanks again!
I think you'll find a 1TB ssd will be more than enough with some future proofing. especially if you are not intending to install large libraries of plugins and virtual instruments and or sound loops/effects and such that want to run on the same ssd. Unless maybe you doing some 3.5 hr full feature film score..... but then you would have a budget for bigger better system. just make sure you have a backup drive which doesn't need to be an expensive large size ssd...
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-19-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
I think you'll find a 1TB ssd will be more than enough with some future proofing. especially if you are not intending to install large libraries of plugins and virtual instruments and or sound loops/effects and such that want to run on the same ssd. Unless maybe you doing some 3.5 hr full feature film score..... but then you would have a budget for bigger better system. just make sure you have a backup drive which doesn't need to be an expensive large size ssd...
Having an external backup drive that is only connected & powered on when actually backing up is probably the cheapest insurance one can have next to ZDT coverage on your iLok. Having such a backup has saved my bacon more than once.

QAPLA!