Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-23-2001, 01:13 PM

Default What do I need to do? Not looking for a magical answer, just an opinion ...

I'm running 5.1, Audiomedia III on a G4 533 with 640 MB RAM ... with ~ 20 tracks four of which have a few plug ins (Dverb, 4BEQ, Lim and or Comp)... so my machine will just quit (freeze) after doing different things (ranges from just listening to just listening and tweaking an effect)I've optimized the memory as much as I can read about and the RAM checks out okay ... so I figure that maybe I'm just pushing it to the edge? I'm new to Mac and this system is running only ProTools and configured how Digidesign said I should ... With a Windohs PC, I have to scandisk, safemode, clean ~.tmp's and generally jump around in a fit to right the wrong .... after I restart my Mac it does its own type of scandisk and I'm back in ... is there anything I should be doing to possibly 'clear' any aftertaste from the previous crash?

Thanks tonne's
L. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: lcouri ]

Old 06-23-2001, 03:23 PM

Default Re: What do I need to do? Not looking for a magical answer, just an opinion ...

If you are new on the Mac/PT combo, get some tech support. There are a number of small tweaks, etc that can be done. In your case it sounds like somethings wrong. Get someone to help you out in person, and don't let go 'til they sort you out. Good luck!

/ Ben
Old 06-23-2001, 05:09 PM

Default Re: What do I need to do? Not looking for a magical answer, just an opinion ...

Word up on ben, follow all the digi setup recommendations, set disk cache to 512k, use chicago fonts, disable "smooth all fonts".
After a freeze, You should trash ptle prefs,dae prefs, digisetup prefs, and reboot.
Try zapping the pram, and rebuilding the desktop too, these should be in your apple emegency handbook that came w/ your G4.
Also, try using the apple disk first aid, its in your utlities folder. Repair anything that it finds wrong, and try scanning your hard drive several times too.
Also, are you using your bootdrive to record onto? You should get a drive dedicated to audio.
hope this helps ya!
sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-25-2001, 12:28 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lcouri:
I'm running 5.1, Audiomedia III on a G4 533 with 640 MB RAM ... with ~ 20 tracks four of which have a few plug ins (Dverb, 4BEQ, Lim and or Comp)... so my machine will just quit (freeze) after doing different things (ranges from just listening to just listening and tweaking an effect)I've optimized the memory as much as I can read about and the RAM checks out okay ... so I figure that maybe I'm just pushing it to the edge? I'm new to Mac and this system is running only ProTools and configured how Digidesign said I should ... ...after I restart my Mac it does its own type of scandisk and I'm back in ... is there anything I should be doing to possibly 'clear' any aftertaste from the previous crash?

Thanks tonne's
L. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you're new to Mac, you should check out http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3 to guide you in what extensions to use, as for any general Mac info you could try these BB's;
http://www.macgurus.com/cgi-bin/foru...orum&number=19
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/cgi-bin/U...assCookie=true

these can get you started with the MAC pretty easily. Either one you choose, the members are knowledgable, and great about helping Mac-er's out.

You'll have to sign up, but like this BB, it's worth it.

Good Luck
Old 06-25-2001, 06:35 AM

Thanks billbo! I'll check these links out, see what I can ....
L.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:10 AM

Thanks billbo! I'll check these links out, see what I can ....
L.