Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

Default Waveforms on Edit window= merely plain graphics?

I received a session to mix with the majority of the tracks recorded at a low level -16db and do not go past the green. I used clip gain to lift the level to -10 or -6db and I am able to manage and process the sounds more cohesively.
Normally on the Edit window, I use medium size tracks, and in some of the tracks the wave form size was occupying the whole vertical space of track view. Which to me meant that I was already in the red. When I check the same track on the Mix window it was not even hitting unity gain -0 db.

My question is the following: Why Is the representation of the waveform inaccurate and not a truly metered audio representation of the db level we see on the meters in the mix window?
Even Audacity A FREE SOFTWARE has a vertical meter that accurately measures db in the displayed wave form that equally matches the meters levels in the mixing toolbars view. Wave forms have different colors which represent RMS and highest peaks and also a wave form db view and wave form clipping view….

Are the waveforms in Edit window in Pro Tools just plain graphics?

Last edited by Camilo Toledo; 03-24-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Waveforms on Edit window= merely plain graphics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Toledo View Post
... in some of the tracks the wave form size was occupying the whole vertical space of track view. Which to me meant that I was already in the red. When I check the same track on the Mix window it was not even hitting unity gain -0 db.

My question is the following: Why Is the representation of the waveform inaccurate and not a truly metered audio representation of the db level we see on the meters in the mix window?
Maybe that track is set to an individual vertical waveform zoom value. Alt+A should restore to the default.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 03-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.