Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 07:32 AM

Default Copy a song section to another part of the arrangement?

Hello,
Does anyone have a method for pasting a song section to another place in the arrangement? ie. using verse 1 as verse 2 in the same track. My difficulty is aligning the pasted copy. There's probably a way to do this a lot easier than how I've been doing it
Thanks for any help,
Chas
Old 10-07-2002, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Copy a song section to another part of the arrangement?

I'm always reluctant to answer a question from work -- I don't have PT or the manual in front of me. And because I'm still a newbie. BUT...

The easiest answer is put the Edit window into Grid mode (see the four modes at upper left of Edit window) so your audio can be precisely selected. Grid mode snaps your cursor to the beat (1/4 notes are the default, I believe). Otherwise you're eyeballing where to click, and that's not good for the kind of repetitive accuracy you're wanting.

For example: select the chorus, starting at beat 1 of measure 09 (your cursor snaps right onto beat 1 if you're in Grid mode). Then copy it, then click onto beat 1 of measure 17 -- paste. MIDI works the same way, btw.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:31 PM

I know what you're saying about grid mode. These tracks I'm working on were recorded in from adat, so there is no PT click to snap to. Will the grid mode still work?
Thanks,
Chas
Old 10-07-2002, 09:08 PM

Grid is always there, but it's default until you set it and will have nothing to do with the song. If it's a stereo mix brought in from an ADAT, it's tough to set the grid to the new tempo precisely. My suggestion would be to set up another track, copy the 1st verse below the second and line up a drum hit or something else as a reference point using slip mode and zooming in very tight, once the verse is in time, select it and use control+option to grab it and move it up to it's new spot in the song. After that your next chore is to find the best spot for the cross fades.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Assuming it was either recorded with either electronic instruments from a sequencer or recorded to a click track it's very simple to set up a tempo map and use the grid function in pro tools. Simply use the identify beat command (Apple-i on a mac) to mark beats and protools will automatically calculate tempo from these markers. Once this simple process is done you can use grid mode in bars/beats to simply copy and past your song together.