Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-15-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Minimizing Sessions

I'm just wondering how to rid a PT session's 'excess baggage'. I've got a few songs at mixdown stage and I want to archive them on DVD, but they're over the data/disc size limit. I've worked out I can delete files from the sidebar file list, but i'm sure there's a more effective way of cleaning up the clutter. I've only recently switched to PT from Cubase, so i'm unsure of the process... any help is much appreciated
Old 09-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Minimizing Sessions

I suggest you consolidate the regions to create new audio files, then select unwanted audio files/regions using,

Regions bar/Select/Unused
Regions Bar/Clear/Delete permanently from disc

If you Alt click delete, it will remove all selected files in one go rather than deleting individually which can be time consuming with a large session.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Minimizing Sessions

Cool tip on the "option click delete"

Please be sure to keep a copy of the orignal session. before you clear select. Remember.. once you deleted a file...its permanent.
There's no going back for a "lets look for that alternative take.

I suggest you.... "save a copy in" with "all audio files" checked. then after copying close the session and re-open the session of the original file.

next is to check for hidden tracks.. tracks not seen but is on the list of tracks on the left hand side. show all tracks and delete the ones you are not using.

"save as" a session named clean (for example: "in da club.ptf" save as "in da club clean.ptf"

take out all unnecessary regions that are still in the session then press save

You are now ready to clear select your session... press shift+apple+u .. that will select the unsued regions... next is press shift+apple+b... this will go into a window asking "remove, delete or cancel". hold down "alt" or "option" and click delete.

already all your unnecessary files on this session has been delete leaving you with only the necessary ones on the audio folder.
hit save and exit.

move your original session "without clean" to the session file backups. not to confuse the end-user

Hope this works!

JS

I also make a safety session without plugins. hence I remove the plugins on all the tracks and save as a file named no plugins.
This will make the end-useers life more easier.