Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Anyone have Event Studio Precision 8\'s

Just curious what filter/crossover settings you use for these. The PT mixes sound great on these,
but when I play them anywhere else there's tons of kick drum, and the mix has a lot more low end.
I realize the mix is going to be different on different speakers, but maybe someone can share their
settings for these monitors?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Anyone have Event Studio Precision 8\'s

Sounds like you need to treat your room....you're adding a lot of low-end to make up for some deficient frequencies in your space.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 PM

BINGO!! I have the same monitors and like them just fine, BUT, the room can and will wreak havoc with your mixes. Consider that the average personal studio has little if any serious treatment and probably little to no bass trapping and you are in trouble from the get-go. Trust me on this, Auralex Lenerds in the corners will NOT fix the low end response of your room with any speaker at any price, The JBL LSR models(and similar) with RMC can only fix half the problem. I was not happy with the low end and did some serious investigation by "shooting" my room with SMAART which is a high quality audio analysis system. (my room has lots of Auralex in it BTW). At the mix chair(at ear height) the response showed 2 peaks of +12-14 db (which RMC can help) and 2 notches of -13-14 db (which RMC cannot help) all between 70Hz and 150Hz. I have yet to apply enough bass trapping to fix all of this but at least I am aware and am careful of how I mix/EQ the low end.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM

I have them in a treated custom built room and i like em. No matter what speakers and what room they are always gonna be off, but some alot more than others so its just a matter of getting use to them and being able to differentiate how off they are. if your in a rectangle room with no treatment and non flat monitors, it's gonna be alot harder than a room built for mixing with flat response monitors.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Hey gwiz, how about a description and some photos so those with raw rooms can get an idea from someone that has done the investment?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 AM

You know whats funny, I have this studio with all this expensive gear and all but i dont own a camera... And the one picture i do have is a close up that doesnt show the layout of the room.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

P1010263.JPG Ok, i was gonna put it up here but i cant figure out how to put pictures on here
Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Open the photo in a web page and copy/paste the address line into your post using the blue URL link beside the Instant Graemlins

Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 AM

As others have eluded to, the monitors aren't the problem---it IS the room. Now, it could be the choice of monitors in your room as well. To get technical here--just putting up absorption and diffusion panels in a room doesn't "fix" the issue, it only puts a band-aid on it. The real battle is done in the room design and construction itself. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to build a room for audio mixing with the design of the room and materials they should use---but in the real world, that simply isn't the case for most. I recently converted my garage into a full studio with an IsoBooth, a Drum Room and my Control Room. I did cut some corners for budget and size reasons, but I still spent five figures on the cost of materials and labor to do it. You can view the Control Room here:

http://www.audioandmidi.com/studio/ControlRoom.html

This is not a recetangular room, there are various angles in there--stragetic ones. BUT it's more than that. I used 2" Auralex Mineral Fiber inside all of the walls with double-layer drywall. While this helps with isolation, it also helps the acoustic response within the room. Sound travels right through walls, high frequency and low frequency have different wave-lengths in how long it takes to complete a cycle. Because of this, low frequencies penetrate walls much easier than high frequency. And because it moves slower, standing waves are REAL problems. Unlike high frequency where the sound bounces off the wall, you can't hear the issues in low frequency. Therefore it builds up and cancels itself out causing a lack of bass response in your mix position. The end result in nearly every case is that when you play your mix back elsewhere, IT'S BASS HEAVY. So, tuning your room is a HUGE help. You need bass traps in the corners, most likely thick broadband absorption on the rear-wall combined with diffusion. But even then, you can only go so far because the room itself is just a room. This is where room tuning software and monitors that auto configure the phase response are such an advantage.

Before I built my new studio, I was in an upstairs room that was 13'x12' and it was heavily treated. However, I still had issues with bass response. For the record, I was using a pair of ADAM Audio S1A's with their 10" sub so I had incredible monitors. The monitors weren't the problem and neither were my ears, it was the room. Since moving into my new studio where I have amazing acoustics, I have moved up to the JBL LSR6328's. I know, these monitors are quite a bit less so "moving up" sounds odd, but it's reality IMHO--at least for what I'm mixing. While the LSR6328 has room-tuning, I don't use it---don't need to as my room sounds great! I used to own the ASP8's, you do have good monitors. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW GOOD YOUR MONITORS ARE IF YOU ARE NOT IN A GOOD ROOM, IT WON'T MATTER!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Indeed, I definitely need some better treatment in here.
It's more of a project room, but still.... I agree the bass traps in the corners may
not be the end-all, but will help. These are good speakers, so it's worth the time
to do it better.
Nice looking room Brad!!!