Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Re: OK, so here's a serious question for Avid regarding "openness"...

Actually, Avid just lowered the price on the upgrade, including on the Avid store. Sweetwater's price just reflects that.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, Avid just lowered the price on the upgrade, including on the Avid store. Sweetwater's price just reflects that.
oh did Avid also lower the price. I just checked 2 days ago and it was $499 at Avid Shop, and $399 at Sweetwater.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
oh did Avid also lower the price. I just checked 2 days ago and it was $499 at Avid Shop, and $399 at Sweetwater.
The price for the upgrade is $399. The store price has been corrected and any customers who overpaid will be refunded the difference. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
My first (and most important, I think) question is: "How do *you* use ProTools?" Do you actually record with ProTools, or have you installed it only to backup and exchange Eleven Rack patches?
Exactly. I use Reaper (I'm a simple man at heart, and it's so much less intrusive than PT). For me, PT is slow, clunky, and far bigger/bloatier than it needs to be...so I'll never use it. I do, however, love my 11R (I'm on my second); it winds me up something chronic that because I love that bit of hardware, I'm stuck without a control window in my DAW of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
My second question is: "How did you get forced into upgrading ProTools?" Did you accept an OS update without realizing the consequences and find yourself with no way to recover except by moving forward with a PT upgrade? Did you buy a new computer that's incompatible with your older version of ProTools? Did you want to take advantage of new features offered by the upgraded version of ProTools?
I've frozen my recording machine at Vista, because it's the only modern OS I've found which reliably works with PT 8 LE and the Eleven control window and won't force me to use IE9 (in case I want to grab the expansion pack at a later date). I also won't be upgrading from PT 8 LE, because there's no point. If Avid do release a second expansion pack which requires a later version of PT, then I can pretty much guarantee I'll ditch the lot.

It's a wonderful product - I especially love it for live work (with an Atomic Reactor) - but it's just too damn restrictive. If it gets any more so (in fact, if it doesn't get any better in the next year), then I'll most likely be heading over to the guys at Fractal.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post

I've frozen my recording machine at Vista, because it's the only modern OS I've found which reliably works with PT 8 LE and the Eleven control window and won't force me to use IE9 (in case I want to grab the expansion pack at a later date).
Windows 7 will reliably run Pro Tools 8.0.5, I used for quiet awhile before jumping to PT9. I use to run PT 8.0 on Windows 7 back when Windows 7 dropped and it was not even supported by Digidesign (now Avid)

You will get much better performance out of Windows 7. And Im not saying this out of hate for Vista, I was one of very few people that would stick up for Vista in the XP vs. Vista wars, I found it very stable and it ran PT well, but Windows 7 blows it away.

You can get Windows 7 and you are not forced into using IE9. Windows 7 shipped with IE8, so its not a problem. And even if you get a W7 SP1 disc and IE9 happens to be preloaded, you can always uninstall it and use IE8.

However, I just want to point out that its not the Eleven Rack UI that won't work with IE9, its only the actual ERXP Firmware updater, once the Firmware updater is run, you can put IE9 right back and everything works fine, you can even run the first section of the ERXP installer with IE9 installed, its only the when running the firmware updater - which you will only have to do once. So its not really a problem.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 AM

Yeah, I get that...however, I've had reliability issues with Win7 and PT8 LE, so I'm back to Vista. I could've stuck with it and tried to work out the problems...however, the only reason PT is on there at all is because...ding ding...I want to back up my patches

In all honesty, the only reason I use either of them is because PT won't run on my Linux machine

If you read carefully, I do know that it's just the updater which won't work with IE9 :) If I get round to installing the ERXP, that'll remove the IE9 headache (I could really do with having it on there for testing sites, but I've been burned with IE upgrades/downgrades before and I honestly can't face reinstalling everything all over again).
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Ok here's a hypothetical question...

If you had to choose between the Eleven Rack control panel in Pro Tools vs. a stand alone Eleven Rack control panel, say, on an iPad, which would you choose?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post

If you had to choose between the Eleven Rack control panel in Pro Tools vs. a stand alone Eleven Rack control panel, say, on an iPad, which would you choose?
Could you clarify a bit more?

Are you saying choose between having the 11R Editor as a part of Pro Tools OR have it as a separate application which can then be used on the SAME computer as Pro Tools or used on a separate device such as a tablet?

Or are you saying choose between having the 11R Editor available in Pro Tools or available only on an external device?

If you are saying choose between having the 11R Editor be a part of the Pro Tools install, OR be installed separately BUT still usable in Pro Tools on the same system - Then I would say Standalone.

However, I would only say Standalone if it could still be used on the same system, at the same time PT is open, and that we do not lose any current functionality such as, volume controls, embedded settings, the mini 11R window in the Edit Window toolbar of PT, ect...

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
A standalone Eleven Rack Control panel on an iPad would be more 'open'.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:

iPad. I would take an iPad to a gig if I had to restore a backup to the Eleven Rack. I don't want to take my laptop....too heavy and bulky.

Plus an iPad boots very quickly....I use mine a lot. Can't remember the last time I used my laptop.