Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-13-2001, 01:09 PM

Default Re: burst of static--help!

Yeah, I forgot to mentioned that all the cards passed Digitest every time I ran it. As far as my system drive being 5400rpm, I never had this problem before, the drive is only half full, and freshly reformatted, and no audio is coming off of it. So it should be fine. However, I have not tried PT with base set on, but like I said before, this setup was fine, with more extensions than are active now. But I will try this. Thanks for the comments, and I will check the ribbon cable, but as I tried pulling cards in my trouble shooting, and always had the problem, I can't imagine that I mis-seated the ribbon cable every time.

Thank you for replying.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:12 PM

Disk cache should be set at 512k, but that's not likely to be your problem.

Personally, I think you have a hardware, and not software problem. Definitely re-seat the cards and the TDM ribbon, and use contact stabilant when you do so (Caig Pro Gold spray on the ribbon, and ProGold wipes on the card edges). You could have a bad TDM cable, or funky PCI slot contacts. If you're using more than one interface, you could have a bad super clock cable.

If the intermittency doesn't happen while DigiTest is running, DigiTest won't catch it.

Personally, if this keeps happening, I'd run the computer for a brief time with the cover off and wiggle things as a PT session was playing.

Good luck with this problem. Almost anything in your system (computer, Digi cards, cables, etc.) is suspect, and it can really be tricky to hunt down. For testing, try running without the vintage farm and see if the problem happens. You can also move the TDM ribbon over a node or two (in case one of the nodes is the culprit).

Lee Blaske
Old 09-14-2001, 12:28 AM

Lee-

Thanks for the input. I have been working all day, ignoring the static, but I will try some of your suggestions tomorrow morning (ribbon cable, cover open, PCI contacts). I tried running with both the MIX farm and the d24 removed (separately) and still got the noise. I also lowered the cache to 512. It was at 768 by someone else's "insider" suggestion, and I have just not bothered to change it.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:30 AM

Default burst of static--help!

I am having a problem very much like the "strange exploding sound" reported on the 001 forum. However, it is occurring on my TDM system. Before I describe my setup, let me explain the problem and some history.

I randomly get a huge burst of white noise on an individual track. It appears on the meters, and occurs before plugins (if any) on the track. (which has resulted in some interest panning delayed horrendous noise in some occasions!) The track seems random as well, and it can happen on two different tracks on the same playback. This occurs on any session, whether 12 tracks or 40. I have checked my clock source, and all is well (internal, 44.1, only one 888)

My setup:

G4/350 yikes motherboard (PCI graphics)
384 mb RAM
PT 5.1
MIX farm
D24
DSP farm (in that order)
Interface on MIX Farm
10 gig ATA 5400rpm system drive HFS+
30gig ATA 7200rpm audio drive, in 3 equal partitions HFS+
Session are not spread across partitions
Trimmed extension set
Disk cache at 768k

Other settings such as memory allocated to PT/DAE and DAE buffer, etc. are not listed because I have tried all different settings for these, and yes I reset the minimum memory to default. Suspecting the hard drives to be overtaxed, I cleaned out the sessions and defragged the drives, leaving about 6gigs available on each drive. In troubleshooting I pulled all plugins out of the folder, leaving only the 24 bit mixer, pulled each stick of RAM, pulled each PT card (except the d24, without which I cannot run PT) used Tech Tool to check RAM, CPU, software conflicts, and file structure, used Norton Disk Dr on all drives, rebuilt desktops, zapped PRAM, reset the motherboard, downloaded and replaced the 24 bit mixer, did same with DAE/DSI, reinstalled PT, trashd prefs and digi setup hundreds of times, and sacrificed a chicken. None of this made any difference, the blast of noise was still there. Took the sessions over to a friend's rig, played and tinkered with them for about 2 hours, never had a problem.

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Also, before all of this I had the -199 error with DAE (MapResource error), prompting me to wipe and reformat my system drive and rebuild my rig. Until that error, everything ran smoothly. I restoring my rig, I am actually running a more streamlined setup than before-fewer extensions and apps, etc.

I know this is a long thread, and I apologize. It may seem as though I am babbling incoherently with frustration, which I am. Anyone's input would be cherished.

HELP
Old 09-14-2001, 12:59 AM

I had a similar thing happen ....What does your Digitest say....It turned out that the TDM node cable was just a little loose.

Did you try your sessions using the setting mac o.s base extensions
another thing your boot drive 5400rpm
Old 09-14-2001, 02:48 AM

There was a bug in 5.1 software that corrupted certain audio files. I had a similar problem. Do a search in the forum you should find something about it. Digi explained under what circumstances it will occur. Anyway, they fixed that bug in 5.1.1.
I would try to get the update and see if the problem disappears.

Steve
Old 09-14-2001, 02:42 PM

Alright, I have now tried everything that has been suggested to no avail. I even ran Digitest over and over trying to catch any intermittancy.

In talking to another PT user/tech, he immediately stated that the problem is that I am using ATA drives. He claimed the various system performance meters wouldn't show spikes when an ATA drive is overtaxed, and that ProTools' "drive too slow errors" would not appear, although I didn't quite follow how this would be. I have read many posts about how people are getting amazing results with ATA drives, and when they overtax them, they get the error dialogue, not bursts of noise. The sessions I am running are between 12 and 30 tracks, at 24 bit/44.1. I have cleaned out the sessions and defragged the drives, leaving each partition less than 1/2 full. I really do not want to go SCSI, considering the cost and loss of a pci slot, and especially with the frustration raging about the Atto card.

Is there anyone else that has gone with the IDE/ATA drives had this problem? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2001, 02:15 AM

Bump-o-rama
Old 09-19-2001, 02:21 PM

Have you tried ™ putting the drive on the secondary ATA bus (with the CD-ROM) or plunking down $100 for a new drive to try? What make and model are you currently using as your audio drive?

Sounds like a hell of a problem. Hope it gets resolved soon...good luck.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:12 PM

I actually seem to have traded this problem in for a new set: -9162 and -6207 errors have now become increasingly familiar. I discovere that the ROM update required for G4's needs to be reinstalled after a reformat/system installation of the system drive. Since updating the ROM, the burst of static has ceased. The problems I have now actually started before I did the ROM update, though, so I'm not sure I can credit them to that.

Back to the troubleshootn' [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]