Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Low Level Driver

I recently had to return my computer to factory settings in order to dodge some virus issues. I had installed PT LE on my external drive before wiping my computer clean. Now I'm experiencing a notification saying that my "user privileges are insufficient to start a low level driver." I'm not entirely sure what this means, or where I should begin to fix it. All suggestions welcome.

2 GHz processor
Vista
MBox2 Mini
PT 8.1.4
3G RAM
SeaGate 1T
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Low Level Driver

PT needs to be installed to the system drive.

Period.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 PM

I installed/ran the program from my external drive pre-computer restoration.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Which explains why you are now having problems.

I never understand why people do this; it doesn't make any sense. The Windows registry is stored with the OS.
On the system drive.
Wipe/reload, or change the system drive and the needed registry entries, as well as any additional system drivers, for any software that is installed to an external drive are gone. A re-install will be required, thus making the installation to an external pointless.

And it doesn't really matter if you had it working or not; the requirement from Digidesign/Avid is that Pro Tools, and all of it's peripheral software (plugins, rewire, hardware drivers, etc etc) should be installed to the system drive.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Helpful response: appreciated.

Mild forcefulness and condescension: not so much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Accepting advice that you yourself asked for: appreciated.

Ignoring the basic requirements for running Pro Tools: not so much appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanter View Post
Helpful response: appreciated.

Mild forcefulness and condescension: not so much appreciated.

Thanks.
Just be sure to install all your programs to the System (OS) drive. There are portable programs, but Pro Tools aint one of em. You can keep sample libraries on another drive, but your apps need to be installed on the system drive.

Another thing to consider would be to get Acronis True Image Home 2011 and make an image and or clone of your working system, that way if you ever have a virus like this again you can recover in under 10 minutes like it never happened. Good luck.

If you run into any other problems come back and post, or you can email me directly, i have had a gaggle of experience running PT on Vista successfully. good luck.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM

Yes yes yes! Don't even think about this, just go buy Acronis True Image(do it today). Do this as soon as your new load is all tweaked and working(so you never have to worry about this stuff again). Restoring from an image is fast and easy, and it feels great to reboot and find your system exactly where it needs to be, whether you suffered an attack, a bad update install or a crash. Acronis also does straight disk cloning. I keep cloned system drives for my Pro Tools machine and my laptop, and drive images of those and every other computer I own(and some that I have built for friends so I can restore those when my friends screw them up....and they WILL)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Wonderfully helpful advice guys, thanks. How much might this program cost me? I'm a working college student and musician. Buying anything usually means saving first.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

I've seen the basic package for $29.99. You can get the add-on goodies later. If you upgrade to Windows 7, they have a basic drive imager built in. It does indeed work, but you must save the image to a completely separate drive(not a partition) and when you restore, you do the entire drive. Acronis allows you to update/clone/image a partition only. Check newegg.com, tigerdirect.com or even amazon.com

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave