Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Elastic Audio - Fades pop

http://www.hushaboo.com/z_Misc/ElasticFadeGlitch.jpg

There's a screenshot. On the track with the volume graph showing, there are 2 examples of the same file with different TCE settings (both are shorter than the original length, and I used the Elastic properties window to shorten)

Both examples pop right around the fade start - it's odd because it sounds like the pop comes slighty AFTER the fade start.

I haven't been noticing this much with SFX, but anything tonal like music (in this case a church bell type sound) it's obvious & unusable.

I've tried removing DC offset with no change.

If I do an AS Duplicate on the region w/fade, the pop gets printed, so it's not just a real-time artifact.

2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon
HD3 Accel
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio - Fades pop

AFAIK elastic audio does not support fades on it. I mean you can do it, but it causes artifacts. The proper method is to render elastic audio, and than apply fade.
Hope digi will make ea works with these edits, but not yet happened.
Tamas Dragon
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM

That's what I'm hearing off the DUC as well.

Having to render in order to use fades properly, makes elastic audio about 10% as useful as I'd hoped.

I understand it might be tricky to implement, but I urge DIGI to make this work. If I have fades on a region & adjust elastic properties, it appears to recompute the fades, so I thought it was working correctly.

IMO elastic audio & it's real-time properties have been the most inspirational & liberating procedure I've come across in quite some time for sound design. But these fades need to work - don't make me render a file to fade!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Well it WOULD work fine if Digi would at long last, and long overdue, just get RID of fade files as 'rendered' files, and implement them instead as real-time volume events.

Only been waiting for that one for about 10 years now...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Well it WOULD work fine if Digi would at long last, and long overdue, just get RID of fade files as 'rendered' files, and implement them instead as real-time volume events.

Only been waiting for that one for about 10 years now...
This would be the perfect timing to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The last month or so, I switched to using Elastic audio on all my tracks. I only kept non-elastic tracks, so I could spot from Soundminer & Snapper to stereo tracks, and also use Overwrite in audiosuite.

IMO elastic audio is clearly the next wave of the future in editing. I already think completely differently in my approach.

But this fade issue has thrown a wrench in my spokes.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Yes, I know it is frustrating. When I discovered this, I was in the middle of a quite heavy drumcorrection. You can bet I pulled my hair out when after long hours of work, it started to crack and pop.
At least now we know how to avoid this.
And of course I hope digi change this behaviour soon.
TD
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
http://www.hushaboo.com/z_Misc/ElasticFadeGlitch.jpg

There's a screenshot. On the track with the volume graph showing, there are 2 examples of the same file with different TCE settings (both are shorter than the original length, and I used the Elastic properties window to shorten)

Both examples pop right around the fade start - it's odd because it sounds like the pop comes slighty AFTER the fade start.

I haven't been noticing this much with SFX, but anything tonal like music (in this case a church bell type sound) it's obvious & unusable.

I've tried removing DC offset with no change.

If I do an AS Duplicate on the region w/fade, the pop gets printed, so it's not just a real-time artifact.

2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon
HD3 Accel
You might try building a "ramp" in the volume automation. 90 degree angled (abrupt) volume automation will give you clicks and beginning and end fairly often.
Make a selection just surrounding your 90 degree automation point and and hit command+X... and you will have a nice ramp.
I realize this may not be your problem as EA has all kinds of quirks, but the fact that you say it is in the beginning makes me suggest this. ff
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

This is good to know. I was wondering why it would pop like that. Never thought to render the time stretch then fade.

Learn something new everyday.