Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Power Amp + Cab gear (Atomic Amps)

Hello DUC,

I'm looking for a Power Amp + Cab Tube based solution for my 2 preamps:
- My eleven rack (obviously)
- My AMT Electronics Tube Preamp

The only vendor I know is Atomic amps (which looks great).

But before considering them I would like to know is there are other Tube
Based Solutions.

IMPORTANT: I know there are a lot of Solid State / P.A based solutions for ER, Axe FX ... but I want tube (matter of taste and for my SS-10 tube preamp).

BUT: If you have good experience with non tube based Amp feel free to give your advice.

Cheers,
Phab
Seven 64bits SP1 Eleven Rack fw 2.01 PT 12.4, EZDrummer 2, Guitar Pro
Ibanez RGIR27E BK, Mayones Setius Pro Lizard, Ibanez S470SOL & Washburn N2 (All Duncan Pickups), Fender '78 Acoustic
Other:
AMT SS-10 Valve Preamp, Cry Baby From Hell, Boss GT-3, Digitech Whammy WH-4, iSP Decimator G-String, MXR Custom BadAss OD, Distortion, TC Electronics Flashback
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Power Amp + Cab gear (Atomic Amps)

Carvin TS100 is a cheap tube poweramp you can buy easily.

VHT 2/90/2 is popular, and you can find mesa 2:50/2:90's all day long online and at HC.

For SS, ART SLA series are popular, and only 1U, and the Matrix GT800 is 800 watts in a 1U package. The Rocktron Velocity also gets good reviews for being tubelike.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanks but this is a Power Amp + Cab setup up.

I was looking for integrated Power Amp + Cab IN ONE ENCLOSURE.

Like Atomic Amps for example.
Seven 64bits SP1 Eleven Rack fw 2.01 PT 12.4, EZDrummer 2, Guitar Pro
Ibanez RGIR27E BK, Mayones Setius Pro Lizard, Ibanez S470SOL & Washburn N2 (All Duncan Pickups), Fender '78 Acoustic
Other:
AMT SS-10 Valve Preamp, Cry Baby From Hell, Boss GT-3, Digitech Whammy WH-4, iSP Decimator G-String, MXR Custom BadAss OD, Distortion, TC Electronics Flashback
Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phab76 View Post
Thanks but this is a Power Amp + Cab setup up.

I was looking for integrated Power Amp + Cab IN ONE ENCLOSURE.

Like Atomic Amps for example.
Power Amp + Cab means different things to different people.

In this case, I don't know any other manufacturers that do what Fractal does with Atomic, and if they did, I'm sure it would be popular by now.

Why not just get a tube combo amp with a series effects loop and plug the eleven rack into that then?

XiTone makes Coaxial powered cabs for modelers, but they are solid state. However, they are getting pretty good reviews among Axe Fx users. The Power Engine is also meant for modelers, but is also SS.

You could always build a poweramp into one. I saw an axe Fx built into a cab with crown amps on the bottom.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 AM

They look pretty good actually!

I see that atomic will be bringing out a coaxial cabinet soon too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Some posted THIS a couple weeks ago and it is a power amp+cab combo. I don't see that it is a tube power amp however so it may not be what you are after. The premise behind this is that the preamp or modeler does all the tone shaping and the power amp and cab do the "heavy lifting" but do not further color the sound that was dialed in on the preamp or modeler. In other words if you plug you preamp or modeler directly into a recording system or console, that should be the same sound coming from this unit. This way, any cab emulations you use will be preserved and used.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Some posted THIS a couple weeks ago and it is a power amp+cab combo. I don't see that it is a tube power amp however so it may not be what you are after. The premise behind this is that the preamp or modeler does all the tone shaping and the power amp and cab do the "heavy lifting" but do not further color the sound that was dialed in on the preamp or modeler. In other words if you plug you preamp or modeler directly into a recording system or console, that should be the same sound coming from this unit. This way, any cab emulations you use will be preserved and used.
It's a good option, and does have some EQ options on the input, so, almost like a global EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ferrer View Post
Power Amp + Cab means different things to different people.

In this case, I don't know any other manufacturers that do what Fractal does with Atomic, and if they did, I'm sure it would be popular by now.

Why not just get a tube combo amp with a series effects loop and plug the eleven rack into that then?

XiTone makes Coaxial powered cabs for modelers, but they are solid state. However, they are getting pretty good reviews among Axe Fx users. The Power Engine is also meant for modelers, but is also SS.

You could always build a poweramp into one. I saw an axe Fx built into a cab with crown amps on the bottom.