Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Default does the 002r work only with pro tools LE??

I know this may sound stupid, but...I currently run Sonar 5.0 with a EMU 1820M. The 1820M to me offers way more than the 002r and is way cheaper. and Sonar 5 seems just as powerful, or more, than pro tools LE. I want to purchase the Digi 002r, for the fact that i run a commercial studio and want to offer/advertise Pro Tools, but...the LE software has limitations on how many tracks you can have in a project??? This seems like an obvious disadvantage, as I often have clients with 100+ tracks!! Help please. Also, can you run two 002r's on one system? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: does the 002r work only with pro tools LE??

Quote:
the LE software has limitations on how many tracks you can have in a project?
Yes. (hence the L in LE)
Quote:
can you run two 002r's on one system?
No.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Ditto. Is you are a commercial studio and have clients with 100 track projects, you really should be on an HD rig with protools.

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM

Well, i agree that would be nice...but i dont have 20+ grand to invest just yet...but one day I will definately make that move! I'm very pleased with my current setup and think i would be less happy with the LE system, but...again i go to the fact that the name "Pro Tools" is a benchmark in recording. It really sucks when a new client comes in and says "do you use pro tools" and i must reply, "no, Sonar." "Whats that?" LOL. but for functionality and bang-for-buck, a much better investment.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 PM

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.

I'd also like to re-iterate: Pro Tools HD is the "industry standard", "benchmark in recording". LE is exactly what it says it is: Limited Edition

It all boils down to this: Use whatever tool does the job for you. It's really that simple.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM

To answer the thread title: no. You can use any software that supports ASIO. Otherwise, everybody's pretty much telling you like it is. To be honest, most of the non-producer/engineer clients I've come across don't really know or care. Yes, they know names, but ProTools for most is just the generic name for DAWs, like Xerox is for copy machines and copying. I pull up Tracktion and people are just blinded by the pretty lights, lol.

I know studios that are fairly successful and mainly run stuff like Logic. If you like Sonar, use it. But it is smart to even get a little M-Box or M-Audio interface for the more knowledgeable/seasoned producers or acts that come in and need to work on a PT project, or if you need to port something over.
Peace
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
ProTools for most is just the generic name for DAWs, like Xerox is for copy machines and copying.
Bulls*it! This is like saying Photoshop is a generic name for image manipulation or Ferrari a generic name for a car with four wheels. Nope, Protools is just what it is, an industry standard for professional audio manipulation -- not a generic name.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:58 AM

What are you talking about? You're telling me that Xerox wasn't the standard for copiers and yet wasn't a generic term? Everybody knows that Xerox was the generic name for copying, just like Kleenex was/is for tissues and Bic was for pens and, yes, Photoshop IS the generic term for image manipulation (when was the last time somebody said, "hey, that photo looks like the image was manipulated!"?). And I didn't say anything about PT NOT being an "industry standard" (TDM, that is). Read my post. What I'm saying is, most people don't know the difference between ProTools and Audacity, and I excluded producers, engineers, and seasoned artists. I'm talking about the majority of clients that come into studios. Maybe the number is 55-65%.

ProTools IS basically the generic term. I've read mainstream magazine and newspaper articles about the home studio revolution, and not once is anything other than PT mentioned, despite the fact that in the pictures there's Cubase or Logic. Everyone reads about and hears about PT, so when they go into a studio, naturally they ask you if you have it. And if you say you use something else, like the guy said, they look at you funny. Like if somebody says, "Can you Xerox this for me?" and you say, "No, but I can copy it on my Canon for you?"

Just because I say it's the generic name doesn't mean it isn't what it is. But again, typically, when something is highly successful the name turns into a generic term for products like it.
Peace
Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 AM

i'm going to have to agree on that one. i dont know if "generic" is exactly the term though, but i get what you are saying. If i didnt know any better i'd think you were trying to say that what protools is to the uninformed public is much like what "spam" means when referring to junk mail. I think you are shooting more towards the fact that protools is such a household name (that may be another term for generic lol) that people believe it is good or better than anything else without knowing anything about it much less seeing it in action.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm saying that people just KNOW the name ProTools, and apply that name to recording software in general. That's the definition of generic: when something is generally applied to a member of a group or class. It's good for business, Digidesign's and many studios. That's cool. But even as a PT user and fan, I totally agree with your last statement:

protools is such a household name that people believe it is good or better than anything else without knowing anything about it much less seeing it in action

Again, good for business, but misinformed is still misinformed. I'd like for people to want buy or use PTLE or HD because it's the best for what they need to do. It is for me.
Peace