Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Manual MIDI vs Keyboard Input

This is going to sound like a silly question and probably is. But I'll ask anyways (and yes, I am fairly new at this!) LOL

Anyways......I can get my nano Korg working with redrum no problem. The issue I run across is even if I am just a little off, I still have to go in and adjust the notes. I have also gone in and "penciled" in fills, grooves, etc. in redrum as well as having manually done it in PT.

Is there a better way of doing this? I especially find it really time consuming if I am doing a drum fill. Any tips?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Manual MIDI vs Keyboard Input

Playing drum fills on a keyboard is the pits. I use an M-Audio Trigger Finger and find it works great, especially as it has 5 pages of pad assignments, which means I can devote 1 page to be setup for doing fills by assigning snare and toms to pairs of pads. With 2 pads for each drum sound, you can really play fills 100 times better than trying to whack a single key or pad. Without that, the pencil method will likely get the best results. One thing I have done(with the Trigger Finger) is advance past the end of the song and just record fills(to a click). By recording a bunch of variations, you can copy/paste into the song. Quantize will be your friend no matter what you use. I also have a Roland TD kit but I can play fills on the TF almost as well(except for the kick).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM

If you are talking about the Korg NanoPad, then you can do something similar to what albee is describing on the trigger finger....

There is a configuration editor for the nanopad that you DL from korg and it allows you to assign the notes to the pads as you want, and there are 4 scenes so you can set up 1 scene to have the dual hats or snares or toms, etc...

The editor is caller KORG KONTROL editor...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM

I brought to Iraq a nano Korg keyboard. I got a brand spankin new Akia MPK49 before I left, so at least it gives me something to look forward to. I kinda figured penciling in track, cut/paste, etc was probably the answer. I have done different fills at the end and am able to tweak a little which does help.