Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Falcon UVI vs NI Komplete

Which of these sampler based VI's make better use of Pro Tools resources and RAM? Does anyone have experience with both?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Falcon UVI vs NI Komplete

Have both and my vote is for Kontakt if you are looking for a sample player but Falcon is something more and have soo much tweakability compared to Kontakt so I would use both for different things.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-12-2018, 04:47 PM

That’s not his question though. He wants to know which handles resources better so, efficiency.

Haven’t really had a chance to play much with Falcon, but the code base is newer so maybe it’s more efficient?

Hopefully someone who has been using both platforms for a while can comment on this as I’d be interested to know as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 AM

Being a now ex-member of the Motunation forum when I was there I read a lot of stuff about Falcon. Upshot is it isn't all that much more efficient at spreading the workload amongst cpu cores than Kontakt. The reason Falcon got/gets a lot of notice over there is that MOTU Mach Five is written by UVI and is essentially the same code with a different gui. And that MOTU has made Mach Five abandonware some of those who used it have moved over to Falcon because it can read the Mach Five expansions.

So Falcon in one form or another has been around for quite some time.

Falcon's one issue is that there's precious little third party support like Kontakt has so if that's important I suggest taking that into account. If you like to create instruments then Falcon is your program. Also keep in mind that Falcon doesn't have a demo version; I'm speaking the Falcon that you can buy from UVI. That's significant because of the expense of the program which is $349 US versus $399 for Kontakt 6.

QAPLA!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 AM

I don't really think this is a practical measurement in any way but my friend was trying to see how many blank instances of Kontakt pro tools could handle and I thought it was fun (=I saw it as a challenge :P) so i joined in too. got to about 128 instances before it was using all my ram so i stopped.

Falcon on the other hand is so lightweight and only uses the resources it needs. I easily got to 1024 instances and seemed like it could keep going to 2000-3000 instances without batting an eye.

Again these are empty so it's kind of a pointless test, but still, the conclusion I got out of this is Falcon is very efficient. I've never been happy with Kontakt's performance in Pro Tools when comparing directly to other DAWs.