Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Default Mbox mini, Pro Tools 9?

My original Mbox, not being supported for cross grade pricing, I am forced to purchase Pro Tools again. It is unclear to me if the Mbox mini is shipping with Pro Tools 9. NAMM show reps in LA said yes, but everywhere I look is seems as if it is PT8. It is also not clear if an ILok is required or not. I have read that the Mbox serves as authorization, but still I cannot find any definitive info.

Any recommendations on whether or not to go with the Mbox or another interface? I am a saxophonist in a home studio so the mini is really all I need.

Thank you. Frank Villafranca
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Mbox mini, Pro Tools 9?

There are currently no LE interfaces shipping with Protools 9. They all still ship with 8, but once you buy them you can use the hardware serial number to get the $249 crossgrade price.

When the interfaces do ship with PT9, it will be more expensive than if you buy them now and do the crossgrade.

And an Ilok is required for PT9. It used to be that the hardware interface served as the copy protection. But now with PT9, the Ilok is the copy protection, and you can use any interface, not just protools ones.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
There are currently no LE interfaces shipping with Protools 9. They all still ship with 8, but once you buy them you can use the hardware serial number to get the $249 crossgrade price.

When the interfaces do ship with PT9, it will be more expensive than if you buy them now and do the crossgrade.

And an Ilok is required for PT9. It used to be that the hardware interface served as the copy protection. But now with PT9, the Ilok is the copy protection, and you can use any interface, not just protools ones.
Yup. I have PT9 operating on a laptop with an M-Audio Fastrack Pro. The airusersblog is compiling a comprehensive list of interfaces that are proven to work(or not work) with PT9, so that's worth a look.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Thank you very much. It sounds as if the smart way to go is PT9 with a different interface. Thanks for the list.