Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Jrestes927 Jrestes927 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 30
Default Upgrade advice needed

Ok folks - could use a little upgrade advice here. I have 2 different systems - one with LE 8, one with HD 1 (version 8). Trying to figure out if I should upgrade to HD9, or just regular 9. Would like to consolidate to one Pro Tools version.

My HD 1 system is old...computer was built in 2002 and uses the old PCI-X card. It also maxes out at 2GB RAM. This makes upgrading the computer much more difficult, because only a few motherboards have PCI-X slots anymore. To upgrade the card through Sweetwater would cost me $1800, and that's just going from HD 1 to HD 1. The only preamp I have for the HD system is built into a Ranza mixing board, which is fed into my 192 i/o interface. The other issue I'm having is that this system almost always freezes when I'm trying to run my Waves plug-ins.

My LE system only has an MBox 2, but is running on a current, and pretty fast computer (Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM, 3 hard drives, etc.). Biggest problem here is (obviously) the lack of preamps. It runs all of my plug-ins though.

For me, the next step is to have at least 8 XLR inputs available, but with higher quality preamps than a standard mixing board (Ranza) offers. Would like the ability to easily increase the inputs to 16. Won't need too many more than that at this stage of the game. I see my options as:

1.) Upgrading my HD 1 PCI-x card to HD 1 PCI-e, and buying a decent preamp like a Profire 2626 (or something). This would enable me to use my current computer with an HD system and upgrade to Pro Tools HD9. Cost = $1800, plus preamp

2.) Purchasing a 003 Rack and Profire 2626, or a 003 Rack + (004 coming out soon? maybe?), and upgrading to Pro Tools 9. Sell the old HD 1 card and 192 i/o and maybe use the money towards a Black Lion upgrade for the 003? Cost = $1500 + extra preamp?

3.) Upgrading the HD 1 to HD Native? Cost = $ ??

4.) Something else?

To summarize my issue, I have an outdated computer which can't run Windows 7 (and thus, PTHD9), and my plugins, but has plenty of - mediocre - inputs. I also have a great computer which runs Windows 7 (and can run PT9), but can't use my HD 1 card and only has 2 XLR inputs.

Let's pretend for a second that my budget is between 2500 and 3000, unless someone convinces me to be patient for a few months. What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
__________________
Intel i7-4820K, 16GB RAM
128GB SSD (system)
1TB 5400 rpm hard-drive (audio drive)
Pro Tools HD 2018
Universal Audio Apollo Twin w/ Black Lion Audio Premium Modification
Focusrite 18i8 w/ Black Lion Audio Modification
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM
nextar nextar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 10
Default Re: Upgrade advice needed

If I were you I'd wait.

1. I do think next year the'll be a new gen digi 003R > digi 004R, could be nice.
2. Without waiting for 'digi 004R' (or what it will be), BLA signature mod for 003R sounds GREAT and has beautiful preamps (believe me), maybe's enough and it's only only 1.350 $ (http://blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=6)
3. PT9 has several issues they'll (obviously) fix in the next months ... I got crazy with it ... (it was a war to make my sys work!)

or

4. HD native + HD Omni bundle (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTNativeOmni) ... with - in the close future - PT9 onboard (no need to pay crossgrades)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,778
Default Re: Upgrade advice needed

I may have missed something, but why is it that your more powerful computer that you're using for LE can't take any HD cards? Because it's PCI-E and your card is PCI-X?

Assuming this is the case, I would suggest this option:

Just get the HD Native card only. You can use it with your 192 just the way it's set up now with your Ramsa. And it will come with PT HD9 included. And use it with your more powerful computer. The price is $3500 but you can get it for less.

Then you can decide about selling the old computer, your mbox, etc. to pay for any new preamps and stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Jrestes927 Jrestes927 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 30
Default Re: Upgrade advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I may have missed something, but why is it that your more powerful computer that you're using for LE can't take any HD cards? Because it's PCI-E and your card is PCI-X?

Assuming this is the case, I would suggest this option:

Just get the HD Native card only. You can use it with your 192 just the way it's set up now with your Ramsa. And it will come with PT HD9 included. And use it with your more powerful computer. The price is $3500 but you can get it for less.

Then you can decide about selling the old computer, your mbox, etc. to pay for any new preamps and stuff.
Yes - that's the case. My "better" computer doesn't have PCI-X slots on the motherboard. So...I either need to upgrade the HD 1 card to PCI-e, or get (probably) one of the last motherboards to have a PCI-x slot. This is assuming of course that i choose to keep the hd option.
__________________
Intel i7-4820K, 16GB RAM
128GB SSD (system)
1TB 5400 rpm hard-drive (audio drive)
Pro Tools HD 2018
Universal Audio Apollo Twin w/ Black Lion Audio Premium Modification
Focusrite 18i8 w/ Black Lion Audio Modification
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade path advice needed jeremyroberts Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 16 06-05-2012 11:21 PM
Upgrade advice needed gtomassetti macOS 4 11-23-2011 09:44 AM
Upgrade to HD3? Advice Needed drumster Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 14 06-14-2011 07:14 AM
Hardware Upgrade Advice needed fortja 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 03-07-2010 08:49 PM
considering an upgrade..... advice needed barstool719 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 13 05-15-2008 05:51 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com