Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 AM

Default Need a new computer and some help...

Hi there,
I know this might be annoying, but I'm getting lost looking through the "best desktops" threads...

Just looking for a quick answer (if that's possible)

I'm really old school as far as technology goes. I haven't been paying attention to any of the hot computer setups since I bought my P4 2.8 with PTLE 6.1.1. about a million years ago! Yes, I know I'm living in the dark ages.

From the looks of it, the new computers on the market will run circles around my current setup and I'm itching to get in on the action... Was thinking of getting the mac pro 8core 3.2, but I know there's some serious qualitly PC setups that will contend with that for a fraction of the price...

Quad core? ...do I need 10000rpm drives>? XP pro (given what I've heared about Vista)
The short of the long is this, I want a machine that will handle alot of power hungry soft synths and audio processing without blinking. Cost is not a huge issue.

Thanks!
Allan
Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Need a new computer and some help...

if cost is not an issue, why not just get the mac pro?

you can run more than you're probably ever going to need on a twin dual core mac pro but if you really want the to kill everything nearby, get the 8 core
Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Look at the first post of the "beste desktops" and that will be the best pc for you.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM

I ended up buying a Mac Pro 8 core. 8 G of ram... I have never been happier with a computer. There is pretty much nothing I can do to choke this thing out w ProTools...
Thanks!