Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM

Default A question on PT11 Hardware, Plug in, and CPU compatibility.

Lol okay so I know there's a lot of talk about 11, and I have a few questions on it. I did look at the Sweetwater website, but I'm still confused about some of the stuff about 11.

1. On Sweetwater, it says something about supported CPU's. I have Windows 7 64 bit, with 16GB of RAM, so I'm hoping I can use all of it. IS the CPUD support just for Mac users, since I only see mac CPU's listed?

2. I am gonna be upgrading to a Focusrite interface, something with 28X28 in/out. I've already got my PT compatible firewire card installedon my computer. PT 11 will still allow you to use 3rd party audio interfaces right?

3. I'm a little confused on the Pro Tools 10/11 con install. All my plug ins are RTAS 32 bit native. Some I have installed on AAX as well and it works fine. If the current producer of my plug ins, currently DOES NOT have AAX available at the moment, but still has RTAS, does that mean that Pro Tools 11 can use the 32 bit native plugins? Or would I have to use 10, then use 11. Sorry if it sounds stupid I just get confused about technical stuff like that.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Re: A question on PT11 Hardware, Plug in, and CPU compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Lol okay so I know there's a lot of talk about 11, and I have a few questions on it. I did look at the Sweetwater website, but I'm still confused about some of the stuff about 11.

1. On Sweetwater, it says something about supported CPU's. I have Windows 7 64 bit, with 16GB of RAM, so I'm hoping I can use all of it. IS the CPUD support just for Mac users, since I only see mac CPU's listed?

2. I am gonna be upgrading to a Focusrite interface, something with 28X28 in/out. I've already got my PT compatible firewire card installedon my computer. PT 11 will still allow you to use 3rd party audio interfaces right?

3. I'm a little confused on the Pro Tools 10/11 con install. All my plug ins are RTAS 32 bit native. Some I have installed on AAX as well and it works fine. If the current producer of my plug ins, currently DOES NOT have AAX available at the moment, but still has RTAS, does that mean that Pro Tools 11 can use the 32 bit native plugins? Or would I have to use 10, then use 11. Sorry if it sounds stupid I just get confused about technical stuff like that.
question 1 is only for mac as far as I know. It's listed as such Mac i7, Imac i7 etc. PC specs list is still coming.

question 2: yes.

question 3: Alright, let me try and clarify that for you. If there's a plugin that is not in an AAX format, that plugin will be disabled and probably will not show up at all if you open that session in pt 11. On the other hand if you open it in pt 10 the plugs will show in the format they were saved on.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
question 1 is only for mac as far as I know. It's listed as such Mac i7, Imac i7 etc. PC specs list is still coming.

question 2: yes.

question 3: Alright, let me try and clarify that for you. If there's a plugin that is not in an AAX format, that plugin will be disabled and probably will not show up at all if you open that session in pt 11. On the other hand if you open it in pt 10 the plugs will show in the format they were saved on.
Oh okay. For question 3, say I have a PT10 session that has some RTAS plug ins, that won't show up in PT11. If/when the manufacturer makes that same plug in in AAX format, I can still load the PT10 session, and those plug ins will show up since they are in the correct format then right?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM

Rockguitarist,

I think the idea of the two installs would be this:

You track and record in PT11, where you benefit from the improved processing and buffers, etc., then import the tracks into PT10 so you can use your existing plugins.

The only thing that might trip you up is if you need to track through your favorite amp sim, which may not be AAX right now.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Rockguitarist,

I think the idea of the two installs would be this:

You track and record in PT11, where you benefit from the improved processing and buffers, etc., then import the tracks into PT10 so you can use your existing plugins.

The only thing that might trip you up is if you need to track through your favorite amp sim, which may not be AAX right now.
Haha I never thought of doing in that way. I'm just use to doing everything at once, in one program since I tend to dislike doing the whole importing thing. But if I have to the guitar amp won't be a problem. I have an Axe Fx 2 which does just fine in PT. Thank you for your suggestion though :)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:21 AM

So PT11 will not work on an i5 or Core2Duo?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
then import the tracks into PT10 so you can use your existing plugins.
No need. The file format isn't changing. You can freely go back and forth.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.