Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Complete Production Toolkit Upgrade woes

Checking Ebay for completed listings, the 003 (console) seems to be selling from $1100 to $1450, with most closer to 1100. This gives you some idea. You might first try Craigslist, or even advertise here on the forum (buy and sell section).

As for the DV Toolkit, for the basic asset only, $200-300 seems to be the range that I've seen before PT9 came out. Now it has both extra value and less value. Extra in that you can upgrade to Complete 2 with it, but less in that it's worthless by itself in PT9. So I'm thinking it should be about the same value, if that makes any sense.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Yes I actually got it, thanks
It's DV tool kit 2, and lic/disk for pt 7.4 (which 7.4.2 is EXTERMLY ROCK SOLID BTW) anyway's, I figured those who want to stay in the PT8 world can benefit as I did down load the upgrade to 8 and kept the dmg of that. And figuring if anyone wanted to go to 9 and Complete for ultimate power($249 & $299 resectivly) can save a ton. Hope that made sense.

Was hoping to get $1500 for it all. it's a 003 rack.
-PTHDN 2019.5 Ultimate
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX7 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 3
-iZotope Music Production Suite 2.1
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Well, if it's a rack, I've seen those going for $500-700. The value of PT interfaces have dropped somewhat because people can now use any interface they want. The 003 console retains some value because of the control surface functionality.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7
As for the DV Toolkit, for the basic asset only, $200-300 seems to be the range that I've seen before PT9 came out. Now it has both extra value and less value. Extra in that you can upgrade to Complete 2 with it, but less in that it's worthless by itself in PT9. So I'm thinking it should be about the same value, if that makes any sense.
It's interesting to me that the DVToolkit2 asset alone has dropped to that low a price point in some of your eyes . I know you said that was before PT9 came out. I sure hope the 'price point' goes WAY up now. Let me explain.

If you look at the difference in what the upgrade price is from MPTk2 to CPTk2 ($1499) and that the upgrade from DVTk2 to CPTk2 is only $299 - it would seem that the DVToolkit should command a lot more than the $300 you suggest. When I got DVTk2 I got it from an eBay seller for $900 which included the assets for TLSpace Native and VocAlign. And MPTk2 in those days was only about $249 eBay pricing. So for a person to be able to get the CPTk2 by only spending $300 + $299 - for something that costs $1995 -- is a pretty nice savings. I personally think you can set the price of your DVTk2 asset a good deal higher PRECISELY because its ONLY current value IS in the upgrade path. Even by normal 'retail' standard for someone to get something '50%' off retail would be considered and AMAZING price. But 75% off?????? I think that's too low.

So for me the issue isn't that TLSpace Native and VocAlign won't be a part of my sales price. - I'm pretty darn sure someone will be VERY happy to buy my DVToolkit license for '$500-$600' - AT LEAST -- so they can get CPTk2 for nearly 50% off retail. The problem, of course, will be that people, thinking DVTk2 should have 'LESS' value now after PT9's release, will try to fire-sale them for only $300 and that will 'set the eBay' pricepoint and then people will 'expect' that super 'steal' "fire sale" pricing for DVTk2 from here out. Please gang -- don't sell your DVTk2 assets for under 5-600.. (or more)- You're really 'ripping yourselves off' in doing that. The price point for DVTk2 should have ZERO to do with whether TLSpace and VocAlign are bundled with it. It has 'super' and its only 'intrinsic' current value as an 'upgradable' base item to CPTk2 for only $299.

THAT's what should drive the price of the DVTk2's we sell.

That's my story (and pricing) and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 PM

I should also mention - that for those people who've had an HD AND an LE system, like myself AND have already upgraded to PT9HD 'and' are thinking of selling the HD system. Make sure you realize you'll need to give away (of course factored into the sale price) your PT9HD asset WITH the sale. Because that person will need an HD core card's serial number to upgrade for himself. Which means your only way to get up to 'full speed' is not upgrade your DVTk2 or MPTk2 asset to CPTk2. To hold onto your PT9HD asset 'after selling' your HD system - would STRAND your buyer at PT8 - with no upgrade path to 9.

The limit on 'track voices' to 48 at 96K in my HD1 system and the production business in this economy having taken a nose dive for this private producer have combined to have me decide to sell my HD1 Core card and my 96I/O. And just deck out my System 2 (in my sig) with an Apogee Ensemble, PT9 and CPTk2. It will be hard to say goodbye to my favorite TDM only plugs - but with UAD2 and the rest of my plugin complement (I pretty much own every, non-UAD, plugin ever made) I should be fine. And have WAY more voices which will be no problem for my 8-Core Xeon 'beast'. And I'll be sure to transfer my PT9HD asset to my buyer. And HOLD ON to my DVTk2 asset.

If anyone's interested in an HD1 + 96I/O + PT9HD (no computer) system - email me via cliking on my forum name above.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Well, as mentioned, this was before PT9 came out. It was also in comparison to the Music Toolkit basic asset which was selling for around $100 without plugins.

But as you mention, now it could be a whole new ballgame because of the upgradability.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Well, as mentioned, this was before PT9 came out. It was also in comparison to the Music Toolkit basic asset which was selling for around $100 without plugins.

But as you mention, now it could be a whole new ballgame because of the upgradability.
Yes, exactly. At least that's what I'm hoping. Oddly -- I visited eBay today and there's only ONE DVTookit2 for sale there... ANd it's WITH the plugins for $1295 BuyItNow. Now 'that's' more like it - price wise. But the seller doesn't make ANY mention of this stuff we're talking about here. It's as if he/she doesn't know that PT9 exists. I don't think anyone will buy it for that price. But I were to list mine tomorrow it would be for BuyItNow $650 at the very minimum. These DVTk2's were expensive to buy. And I think Avid probably realized that enough to 'protect' our investment by building in such a nice low upgrade price that people who DID want to sell could sell for not to far off what they got it for.

I always worry that someone will 'wire' the eBay 'median price' WAY too low -- and then people start to expect that LOW, LOW price.. Here's to hoping. As it turn out I'll be keeping my DVTk2 and upgrading.. but hopefully others reading this will 'take heed' and realize the 'value' of DVTk2 in a sale is at least above $600 if not more. THat would get a person CPTk2, retail at $1995, for only $900. That's a CRAZY good deal.