Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Re: HDX2 - running out of DSP resources - tips?

Why don't you delete some mixer sub paths and see what happens. Would take about 5 min. Delete. Look at dsp use.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 02:04 PM

I haven't noticed anything specific to Atmos that makes voice and DSP usage different than other formats. It still adheres to the same rules of HDX systems. I generally find I uses voices much quicker in Atmos though, as I use quite a number of 7.1.2 aux channels with native stratus 3d instances on them for workflow reasons.

Using native plugins on 7.1.2 aux channels will chew up 10 voices at a time... Alternative native -> DSP -> Native on an Aux channel will munch up 20 voices. It can escalate pretty quickly.

Your mileage might vary, as I have only ever used HDX 1 with 64 channels of Dante via Atmos mastering suite. Anything bigger, and I just use Dolby Audio Bridge.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
True, haven't done any Atmos work. But I do know something about PT mixer and that's where your problem is somewhere.
The problem is the number of resources taken up by so many 7.1.2 paths. It's not an issue with his setup.

I always thought subpaths did not use up any additional mixer since it's already using those channels internally anyway.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 AM

I have HDX2 and use DAPS. One thing that might help a bit is to use 7.1 paths instead of 7.1.2.
I am sure you are not using .2 in this paths and for Strauts 3D, Symphony 3D or Cinematic verbs you would anyway use additional object auxes for .2 (or .4, .6).
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 AM

The situation really sucks. You need HDX2 for the required IO, but then run into to DSP-induced voices and mixer-resources hell.

I really hope the hybrid mixing engine for HDX arrives soon and works as advertised.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
I have HDX2 and use DAPS. One thing that might help a bit is to use 7.1 paths instead of 7.1.2.
I am sure you are not using .2 in this paths and for Strauts 3D, Symphony 3D or Cinematic verbs you would anyway use additional object auxes for .2 (or .4, .6).
Well, not quite. We're using quite a bit of 7.1.2 channels. Both for Stratus3D and for Halo Upmixer. I like the flexibility to spread into the heights when needed.

Also, we try to minimize the use ob objects to when they really are neccessary. First, we're only doing HT Atmos where localization in the surrounds is as good with the beds as with objects, and second - and that's the big one - we often want to have additional bus processing, something that's impossible with objects.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:26 PM

So can we conclude the answer is hdx3?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:28 PM

If your problem is voice count then yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If your problem is voice count then yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering about the op question about deleting paths. If he actually tried it.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:23 PM

Default HDX2 - running out of DSP resources - tips?

I’m running a separate DAMS via Dante. I can easily fill an HDX3 for a feature film, but it’s all mixer channels because if the tons of bussing. I still have plenty of voices.

I just make sure to run most of my plugins as native, so the HDX cards have room for all the mixer channels.

Technically, I’m using way more busses than necessary in my mix template with my beds all set to 7.1.2 and three 7.1.2 reverbs in each food group. If I was more careful about only using only the absolutely necessary busses, I bet I could fit it on two HDX cards.

So without seeing you session setup, I’m guessing it’s mostly the bussing that filled up your cards. Try switching all the plugs to native, then if you need more power, delete unused busses.

EDIT: I just re-read your OP, and saw all your plugins are native, so ignore that first part and go to cleaning up your unused or unnecessary busses. The system resources panel will tell you how full you are. Posting a pic of that would help.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment

Last edited by lucienpalmer; 02-16-2021 at 06:37 PM.