Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2020, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Carbon plugins - what companies work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoxSt7 View Post
Apollo’s DSP works for tracking and mixing in whatever DAW. I probably just missed what you’re saying here... I do think there will be some users who end up on carbon for some real specific reason or just buy it first, perhaps people with big budgets or otherwise “need HD” (in reality or not) who then buy a satellite as well because of the quality of UA plugs... Or if they do 2 very different kinds of projects I could see having multiple independent rigs for some studios. Theoretically an aggregate could be set up as well to use both simultaneously (I think?). Or even if not, adat one to the other and control via Console app. I personally will stick w just UA unless I see some major advantage.

HDX and Carbon aren't really anything like UAD in use. Carbon has a hybrid engine, and both Carbon and HDX platforms utilise AAX-DSP and AAX-Native plugin types side by side. UAD doesn't do either of those. As a result, Carbon and a decent computer will maybe run 1000-1500 instances of Elysia Mpressor for the $4000. UAD on the other hand? You are probably looking at closer to $60,000 and 50 PCIe slots to run the same number of plugin instances.

The whole reason I ended up with HDX is because the hardware costs 10 times less per plugin instance than UAD. I suspect a lot of people will buy an Avid Carbon for similar reasons, and a whole bunch more.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 12-31-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
The majority of Avid plugins come free to the majority of Pro Tools users. The Avid channel strip, for example, is a direct port from a Euphonix System 5. Great sounding plugin. Great sounding desk! A million bucks worth so I'm lead to believe, found over the years in places like the recording studio in Sydney Opera House.

I don't really think I should feel like a plugin sounds bad just because it was free. Nor do I think UAD's emulation of a piece of hardware created by someone like Dave Derr has some kind of inherent advantage over a plugin directly created by Dave Derr himself. Sure, it might not have a GUI that resembles some piece of analogue hardware from yesteryear... but that is ultimately irrelevant isn't it? A huge chunk of that list of AAX-DSP plugins is the direct result of some of the greatest audio minds of our time. They are all plugins at the end of the day. Judging by the ears is all that matters... not the price tag, or the queue at the door, or how it looks, or how much a company tells us that plugin X accurately reflects hardware Y.
Sydney's awesome - but a broadcast studio, not so much for tracking. I'm not saying Avid stuff's not clear. Part of the reason I feel UA is more suited to tracking is their development is more aimed at emulations of pieces that have specific colors/character/tone.

I was wrong to compare UA's library to Avid's which hasn't been developed in years (key parts of it anyway). The real question is what all's available in AAX-DSP. To me, it's still a bit limited and I prefer to have UA (which has lots of Softube/Brainworx/SPL etc included) + be able to use all the other stuff natively. But just my opinion, I'll not waste any more time here. Thanks for the list provided earlier.

Last edited by BusyBoxSt7; 12-31-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
No actually you'll be totally subjective only.
Starting a thread so you bitch about Avid plugin's is an interesting ploy, If you think UAD is such a superior product, posting here doesn't make much logical sense, does it ?

It wasn't why I started the thread, but you're 100% correct, I'm wasting time. Thanks for pointing it out, seriously. Peace.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Sydney's awesome - but a broadcast studio, not so much for tracking. I'm not saying Avid stuff's not clear. Part of the reason I feel UA is more suited to tracking is their development is more aimed at emulations of pieces that have specific colors/character/tone.

I was wrong to compare UA's library to Avid's which hasn't been developed in years (key parts of it anyway). The real question is what all's available in AAX-DSP. To me, it's still a bit limited and I prefer to have UA (which has lots of Softube/Brainworx/SPL etc included) + be able to use all the other stuff natively. But just my opinion, I'll not waste any more time here. Thanks for the list provided earlier.
My pleasure.

The studio at SOH ain't like any broadcast studio I have ever seen. It is tied into most of the venues in the building. There is no doubt UAD stuff is popular, but I don't know many engineers that would preference using an Apollo over an opportunity to track a band straight from the concert hall in a control room kitted out with some of the highest quality equipment going around, including $100k in ATC monitoring. If UAD is your sonic nirvana, more power to you good sir.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:

The studio at SOH ain't like any broadcast studio I have ever seen. It is tied into most of the venues in the building. There is no doubt UAD stuff is popular, but I don't know many engineers that would preference using an Apollo over an opportunity to track a band straight from the concert hall in a control room kitted out with some of the highest quality equipment going around, including $100k in ATC monitoring. If UAD is your sonic nirvana, more power to you good sir.
I don't understand this comparison. An apollo with unknown studio/bedroom/cave(?) vs. an entire studio? Euphonix System 5?
Old 12-31-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this comparison. An apollo with unknown studio/bedroom/cave(?) vs. an entire studio? Euphonix System 5?

I'm sure Luna is absolutely terrific.

Last edited by LDS; 12-31-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:31 AM

Old 01-12-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
No doubt the first thing that pops into the head of every listener is "thank goodness they used a UAD SSL channel strip".
Old 01-16-2021, 01:36 PM

some of us have upgraded from Apollo to this fine peice of machinery called carbon , so there is a good chance that we have spent lots dollars and was hoping some of the plugins work.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:21 AM

To get back to the OP...
I have been using HDX for a long time. Most of what I need is available from Avid, Sonnox, McDSP, Brainworx and Softube. Sure, Avid, Sonnox and McDSP are "old" but the coding is superb and the plugins hold their own against any modern plugin I've used.

How many colors do you need to paint with? I find that if I have too many plugin options I spent too much time picking the tool instead of staying in my creative mind.

Dont forget the you can still use native plugins with Carbon, you just cant use them in the monitor path.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS