Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 Announced Today

I just don't like how us M-Powered users are getting screwed in this. F*** it. I've got the POD HD + Redwire IRs + Waves IR1. I'm good with what I've got. I'll use what I've got until the work flow suffers, then figure out what to do. I want to make music and stuff like that rather than mess around with software and hardware upgrades.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I just don't like how us M-Powered users are getting screwed in this. F*** it. I've got the POD HD + Redwire IRs + Waves IR1. I'm good with what I've got. I'll use what I've got until the work flow suffers, then figure out what to do. I want to make music and stuff like that rather than mess around with software and hardware upgrades.
I wouldnt say you are getting screwed. M-Powered users didnt have to buy and use LE hardware (003, Mbox ect..) you just had to buy the software and choose from a selection of approved interfaces with varying price points. Plus you are getting a huge upgrade with the included toolkits and not to mention ADC.... your hardware is still holding its value, while the LE hardware value has taken a hit since you no longer HAVE to use it.

It is more expensive than the other upgrades, but this upgrade adds so much more stuff. Its worth the price. not saying it is cheap.... but it is worth the price. And you dont have to upgrade right now. Ride it out awhile with PT8 and the price of 9 will lower. I'm running fine on 8.0.4cs 2 so I'll probably stay here until PT9 gets better drivers, and who knows, maybe the 004 will be released soon and will include PT9, thats what I'm looking for, a crossgrade for the 003 to the 004.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

+1 Benoni

I'm actually really anxious to see what the future 004 may look like. I already jumped into PT9, and because of it, i'm seriously thinking about an MBox Pro. Maybe if i buy the MBox Pro, they'll do the MBox crossgrade to the 00x series like they have done in the past. And if not Avid hardware, i'd probably scrimp for an Apogee Ensemble, or RME FireFace 800, and just toss it in the rack with 11R. SO much more possibilities now.

A little update on my PT9 adventures:

First of all, i have to say that upgrading to PT9 was easy and painless. Took me less than 20 mins to do the upgrade, download included. Also, the system has worked flawlessly, even better than it was running with 8.0.4.

I took it upon myself to dust off my old MOTU Ultralite mk3, to see how it worked in PT9. I was immediately able to setup the Playback Engine, and create a 192kHz session. After configuring the I/O, i was able to hook up the 11R, just as people do with the 003. Nice. And i was able to tweak with the PT editor. Love that s--t.

There were some driving problems in the Analog inputs on the MOTU, but i'll have to run it in other DAW's to see if the problem is because of PT9. The Ultralite has seen many a show, and has been beaten up more than i'd like to admit. So i'm not sure it's in 100% working condition.

So far, the PT9 life is good. Even got some editing done on the train, no interface! awesome. Definitely worth the price.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 AM

here is a pic of the new iLok, and i redesigned the PT9 logo cause i hate the way it looks now.

iLok 2 Picture

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
Copied from another thread:

This is how it worked - we had to assign a 'value' to the software, which is $599. LE owners HAD to buy hardware to get LE, while M-Powered owners typically owned their M-Powered hardware already. An M-Powered hardware price was lower relative to the LE system when you took away the value of the software in an LE bundle.

Example - ProFire 2626 = $699 plus $200-$250 for M-Powered = $900-$950.

Digi 003R - $1199.

Difference = $250-$300

I'm using average pricing - yes, you can find the 003R for less lately, but the vast majority paid closer to the $1199 price. You can also find M-Powered for less, too, so the difference remains about the same. Taking it all into account, LE users still paid more, overall, than the M-Powered customer.

No, it's not ideal, but we tried to strike a balance that made sense for a majority of people.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Location: Northern tip of the gorgeous Wasatch mountain range

This was precisely as I had guessed. While it will be great to upgrade to PTs 9 at some point, I still have a lot of mileage to get out of LE 8. It didn't just stop working or lose functionality because PTs 9 was introduced.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Copied from another thread:

This is how it worked - we had to assign a 'value' to the software, which is $599. LE owners HAD to buy hardware to get LE, while M-Powered owners typically owned their M-Powered hardware already. An M-Powered hardware price was lower relative to the LE system when you took away the value of the software in an LE bundle.

Example - ProFire 2626 = $699 plus $200-$250 for M-Powered = $900-$950.

Digi 003R - $1199.

Difference = $250-$300

I'm using average pricing - yes, you can find the 003R for less lately, but the vast majority paid closer to the $1199 price. You can also find M-Powered for less, too, so the difference remains about the same. Taking it all into account, LE users still paid more, overall, than the M-Powered customer.

No, it's not ideal, but we tried to strike a balance that made sense for a majority of people.
Makes sense in that perspective.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM

At first I was miffed that I might have to upgrade my ProTools Version in order to get the mythical unicorn 11R feature upgrade.

Now I'm worried that the mythical unicorn 11R feature upgrade might be charged separate AND require Pro Tools 9.

Two update charges to play ball?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
At first I was miffed that I might have to upgrade my ProTools Version in order to get the mythical unicorn 11R feature upgrade.

Now I'm worried that the mythical unicorn 11R feature upgrade might be charged separate AND require Pro Tools 9.

Two update charges to play ball?
+1
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM

I think what is getting to me is the the cash going out. See it's not a simple update to PT 9. It's that I'm still running XP and have to upgrade to Win 7. Then it's a matter of doing a full back up of everything, and I'd actually pay to have someone do this since I'd probably get frustrated and throw the computer out the window, then loading everthing, sacrificing a goat just to make sure it all works.

I've also been searching the site high and low. Will PT 9 run on 64 bit Windows 7? I couldn't find it anywhere, and I didn't want to wait an hour for the manual to download. Reason is that when the day comes, I need to know about this. Then there's all this third party stuff I've got.

It'll be about a year before I update anyway it seems.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)