Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Default 002R Coreaudio with Logic Pro 6.4.2

I am tracking right now via my 002r with Logic Pro 6.4.2 - and I am getting 422 samples of latency, even with my input buffer set at 64!!! If I increase my input buffer to the maximum, my latency goes up to 521 samples.

Am I totally missing something - I know the coreaudio driver causes nasty latency with the soft synths - but I cannot even track in Logic with 002r?

UGH!

Everyone on the Emagic list says the Digi coreaudio driver is the problem. Is this latency issue intentional to keep people from using Logic with a 002r?

Help me...
Old 01-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: 002R Coreaudio with Logic Pro 6.4.2

No, it's just that digi's CoreAudio drivers suck. Get a different interface for logic, that's what I did and it's sooooo much better.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:22 AM

I don't think it's a deliberate attempt to keep people from using other apps, it's more that PT is not a Core Audio application, so Digi doesn't have a strong incentive to spend a lot of development time making a good Core Audio driver (unless we complain enough). Digi never made a very good ASIO driver for OS9, either, and I can see the parallel here.

I've tried CAM 6.5.2 and 6.7. They're pretty bad compared to just about ANY other manufacturer's Core Audio driver from what I've heard. I understand that M-Audio, MOTU, and RME all make good Core Audio Drivers for their hardware.

Maybe Digi can pick up some tips from M-Audio's development team on writing a better Core Audio driver, now that they own and distribute M-Audio.

I have to set the Digi CAM at 512 samples to even get it to load with DP 4.5, for instance. That's pretty useless except for playback of pre-recorded tracks.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 AM

why would protools not being a coreaudio app have anything to do with it? my problem is not with protools, it is with the 002r. they advertise that this unit will work with a listed number of coreaudio applications, Logic being one of them - and also release a coreaudio driver on their website. as a customer, i expect that this driver will work at the very least for low level functions like simple recording.

i think it is time i start writing some letters to folks at digi about this. i will be at NAMM this year, so I will see if I can corner someone and get some answers.

I think everyone who has had a problem with the coreaudio driver should respond to this thread so we have an idea how many people we are talking about.

/m
Old 01-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
why would protools not being a coreaudio app have anything to do with it?
What he means is that because PT is not a CoreAudio app, the developers/coders at digi don't spend a lot of time dealing with the coreaudio code, and seeing as how digi's product quality has taken a serious dive in the past couple of years it's not too surprising that their drivers that are supposed to work with other apps, don't do it very well. Like lwilliam said, even their OS9 ASIO driver was mediocre at best - they really just don't care. Since they've already got your business from buying their hardware/software combo what do they care if your other software works or not? In fact they'd probably rather have it not work well on purpose just to make you think competing software isn't as functional as PT. (That's a pretty wild assumption on my part, but it does kinda make sense too right?)
Old 01-17-2005, 06:22 AM

Looks like I am going to have to order a Mark of the Unicorn 828MKII to take care of this. I don't have time to sit around and wait for Digi to fix this. From what I see in the archives, they have had plenty of time.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Bump - for all the Emagic users I forwarded this too on the Emagic list.

/m
Old 01-19-2005, 03:38 AM

Hi everybody my name is... and I am Logic 6.4 + 002R User.
But my story is different...

For a long time I didn’t have any problem with timings,
suddenly I notice that my recording is starting too early and all my audio files
are being cut from the start.
so I set up the "Recording delay" to 100 in logic.
(I am using only the digital in/out and no plugins at all)
Have you herd of this before?