Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2021, 05:33 AM

Default ADAT Bridge 24bit - internal battery

Hello everybody on here, I have a question about the old Adat bridge 24 bit hardware interface. Anybody of you knows if there is any sort of battery or backup battery installed into the Adat bridge and what is used for? If yes are there replacement battery available on the market?
Thanks you in advance.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Re: ADAT Bridge 24bit - internal battery

Do you have a unit that is not working? Does that unit save any settings(which would require a battery)? Since its way out of warrantee, just pop the lid and have a look. Odds are if it has one, it will likely be obvious(probably a CR2032-style) round, silver and about the size of a quarter. Odds are also pretty good that it will be soldered in place, and while you can find that style on line, you can also solder in 2 pieces of solid wire, make a loop(for more contact area), hold the loops against each side of the battery and wrap with a high-tack tape like this:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Home Depot has small rolls that are not expensive. I've done 3 devices this way and all are still in service after several years

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Do you have a unit that is not working? Does that unit save any settings(which would require a battery)? Since its way out of warrantee, just pop the lid and have a look. Odds are if it has one, it will likely be obvious(probably a CR2032-style) round, silver and about the size of a quarter. Odds are also pretty good that it will be soldered in place, and while you can find that style on line, you can also solder in 2 pieces of solid wire, make a loop(for more contact area), hold the loops against each side of the battery and wrap with a high-tack tape like this:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Home Depot has small rolls that are not expensive. I've done 3 devices this way and all are still in service after several years
Hi albee1952 - Dave and thanks for your prompt reply.
The point is: I'm not talking about a generic unit, what I need to know is if the ADAT BRIDGE 24 bit has any kind of backup battery installed into it. I can't check it out cause I don't have it here. I'm trying to solve an issue for a friend oversea.
So, what I'd need to know is if the digidesign ADAT BRIDGE does have a battery installed. And in case, what it use the battery for.
I have had two ADAT BRIDGE in the past but I can't recall nothing about a batteries. Might be my fault..... that's why I'm asking on here.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:56 AM

I doubt an ADAT Bridge would have a battery... what would it be for? Never heard of this. The easy way would be to find a user guide online and see what it says. And if you don’t trust that have whoever has the actual unit open them up and look... but why are you focused on batteries?

This “I am helping a friend” stuff on DUC often is just slow torture. Why does the person with the problem not just post here themselves? And post what the problem actually is.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I doubt an ADAT Bridge would have a battery... what would it be for? Never heard of this. The easy way would be to find a user guide online and see what it says. And if you don’t trust that have whoever has the actual unit open them up and look... but why are you focused on batteries?

This “I am helping a friend” stuff on DUC often is just slow torture. Why does the person with the problem not just post here themselves? And post what the problem actually is.
Hi Darryl and thanks for your help.
I agree with you about the "non sense" of a battery into the Adat Bridge. There are not setup (other than the ones that are under the control of the setup in the daw itself on the computer)to save or any similar use for a battery. I read all the user manuals I've faund online but no one report any info about any battery. And I'm not surpriced about it. My concern is that maybe there would be some info about it into a Service manual (the more technical one) but didn't find it online.
Anyway, to answare your question about "the friend of mine"... I have a not-expert friend who just bought this unit but have some issues with it. A non better identified "technician", hired for solve the problem, said something about the battery that is to low and therefore the unit can't work at all. That's it.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:00 AM

I have owned many Adat bridges, both the 20bit and 24bit versions. AFAIK They do not have any kind of internal memory, and therefore do not have batteries. If you notice when you power them on, the settings you last used don’t take effect until the computer you have connected is fully booted up - pro tools/dae is what saves the settings for digital format and sample rate.

Due to the age and value (or the lack thereof) of a 20 year old interface, I don’t think it’s worth repairing one of these units. If the unit is bad, I would suggest putting an ad on the buy/sell section of this forum to see if someone nearby has an old one laying around they want to sell.

That being said, these are usually very reliable interfaces, I have NEVER had one of these fail. If the unit isn’t working correctly, it is usually an error with software configuration, word clock, or a problem related to incorrectly connecting the 2 digilink connections.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:23 AM

Thanks so much John. I really appreciate your help. You confirm what I remembered about the backup battery, but wasn't 100% sure.
Cheers
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodeangelis View Post
Thanks so much John. I really appreciate your help. You confirm what I remembered about the backup battery, but wasn't 100% sure.
Cheers
Cheers