Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Question PT10: Naming & Coloring Clips

I've used a lot of DAW software, but this is my first experience with ProTools (I'm talking 20 days and counting!)

I'm using PT10.0.1.58 on Win7 x64, AMD Athlon64 5200+, 8MG RAM and MOTU Audio Express interface. I'm having no problems but I'm finding PT rather frustrating to figure out (once I do figure things out, I find it very powerful). Anyway, I have the following two questions if anyone would like to help me out.

I created a track and recorded two clips, one for 'verse' and one for 'chorus'. In order to complete the arrangement, I copy/paste or duplicated those clips as needed. Problem is, when I try to rename them, I find I can't rename all of them independently, because when I rename one, it renames all the copies of it to the same name! Anyone know of a way around this?

Second, is there no way to change the color of individual clips? If there is, I haven't been able to find it yet. I would like, for example, verse clips to be a different color from chorus clips (on the same track).
Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Default Re: PT10: Naming & Coloring Clips

My advice would be to use "markers" look it up in the reference guide and it would be possible to solve both of your problems.

With markers you can set location points and name them what you want. Then in your preferences you can set it up so each marker location starts a new color scheme.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM

BAM! Thanks guitardom. That was exactly what I needed.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM

1) Each copy is an exact copy and when you rename one, you rename them all. After copying a clip, consolidate it and then name it. Consolidating will make it a new clip and allow you to rename it alone.

2) Pull up the Color Palette Dialogue to assign a color to a Clip. See page 253 of the Pro Tools 10 Reference Manual.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM

What I had figured out was to make something (anything, no matter how small or musically insignificant) different about the copied clips and then I could rename them independently. Obviously, consolidating is MUCH more efficient. Much thanks, The Weed.

Between the two suggestions, I now have the freedom to make complex arrangements without things getting too confusing when dealing with lots of clips!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMokoda View Post
What I had figured out was to make something (anything, no matter how small or musically insignificant) different about the copied clips and then I could rename them independently. Obviously, consolidating is MUCH more efficient. Much thanks, The Weed.

Between the two suggestions, I now have the freedom to make complex arrangements without things getting too confusing when dealing with lots of clips!
Is there NO other way (ie: changing a setting in the preference menu) to accomplish this?

I am trying to copy MIDI clips from one track to another track and then rename the copied clips, but need to leave the original clips with their pre-existing names. The clip names represent unique keyswitch articulations.
I have scoured the PT10 reference guide and the DUC, but can't find an answer to this. (other than the rather awkward workaround described on this thread.) Please help!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Have you got the mirrored MIDI switch (just above the global tracks) turned on? That means whatever you do to one midi file is copied to other files, so could help?