Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 08:32 AM

Default I hoped 2023 would have fixed the bounce Mov Crash :-(

I'm on a M1 Mini Studio HD Native and the " feature" that crashes PT after each bounce to Mov has been a real drag. Last week I worked on 26 versions of a spot. So Bounce, deactivate Video Engine, Reactivate Video engine was getting boring and time consuming. I updated to 2023.6 hoping it would have solved things but no.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:43 PM

Default Re: I hoped 2023 would have fixed the bounce Mov Crash :-(

I have never been able to reproduce this issue, and I bounce out review Quicktimes dozens of times a week. I am on the latest PT with an M1 Ultra Mac Studio

MKD Creative
Old 06-17-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
I'm on a M1 Mini Studio HD Native and the " feature" that crashes PT after each bounce to Mov has been a real drag. Last week I worked on 26 versions of a spot. So Bounce, deactivate Video Engine, Reactivate Video engine was getting boring and time consuming. I updated to 2023.6 hoping it would have solved things but no.
You need to specify what codec you are using. "Mov" is just a container -- it can hold one of 10s of video streams. The problem is possibly with your codec and no one can tell because everyone else is using other codecs.

I have had zero crashes (as long as you don't extend past video for your selection or have blank frames internally due to editing the video; the last one only Ultimate users can do)
Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You need to specify what codec you are using. "Mov" is just a container -- it can hold one of 10s of video streams. The problem is possibly with your codec and no one can tell because everyone else is using other codecs.

I have had zero crashes (as long as you don't extend past video for your selection or have blank frames internally due to editing the video; the last one only Ultimate users can do)
Well, I was a tester on the fix a couple of years ago for Avid and yesterday it started to happen to me again also on some full cuts of a film And a .wav. The movie bounced, but then the beach ball happened. Had to force quit and still the movie window was open and so I had to restart to get rid of it totally.

Then I did a bounce of audio only of the same film which was only 2.5 min long for a TV thing. that caused crash also. I'm digging into it for Avid tomorrow.
I have a ticket into them and they seem to think it was fixed and know that I worked on the fix with them with crash reports and testing. So, we will see, since it had not been happening in 2023.3 that I remember and especially not with just and audio bounce. the Codecs I use are all qualified rasters. ProRes422 etc.
I will post more when I get done. Will check Natively on this show and Rosetta 2, as it was in Rosetta 2 that it happened. Running a Mac Studio Ultra etc. see my profile for my info.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-17-2023, 06:47 PM

Are you doing same-as-source or are you rendering?
Old 06-17-2023, 08:26 PM

Good point-:)
I have had it happen on both though..

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-18-2023, 03:06 AM

Ok, I primarily work with the dreaded MP4. It's what I get and I'm usualy getting prep minutes before session start and often updated picture during the session.

PT doesn't offer "Same as Source" and is greyed out for me.

Also, I usually Bounce to PCM. It sounds better and I use Simian which automatically converts files on upload and bouncing to AAC has effected the sound quality for me.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:36 AM

I bounce out the audio, then use Shutter Encoder. Load in the audio and the delivered MP4, select "Replace Audio". One extra step, but way faster than BTQT in PT.

I use Shutter Encoder to make MXF and import that into PT for working. Most efficient video format. To export a short clip, less than the full length of the video, then I will BTQT, then drop the exported video into Shutter Encoder and convert to H264. Ship that to client.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash

Last edited by minister; 06-19-2023 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
Ok, I primarily work with the dreaded MP4. It's what I get and I'm usualy getting prep minutes before session start and often updated picture during the session.
I know the feeling..we often get mp4's and they're nothing but trouble, but I use https://www.ffworks.net to transcode to DNXHD, super fast !
Old 06-23-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I bounce out the audio, then use Shutter Encoder. Load in the audio and the delivered MP4, select "Replace Audio". One extra step, but way faster than BTQT in PT.

I use Shutter Encoder to make MXF and import that into PT for working. Most efficient video format. To export a short clip, less than the full length of the video, then I will BTQT, then drop the exported video into Shutter Encoder and convert to H264. Ship that to client.
Yes Very easy to do as Minister suggests. I like ffworks, which is super fast for me also, but either flavor is good. Some advantages to both.

I am not sure why the editor can't just send you a proper .mov format with the mix prep you receive. Seems odd to me. I always have a set standard setup well in advance as to what works for me and communicate that to producers. You can again aways transcode the QT after you do a "same as source" version. Not understanding why yours is greyed out for transcoding or is it a case of not being a certain ver of ProTools? I have to have everything to run my business here to expidite the workflow, which is key for us here.

G

Last edited by gives; 06-23-2023 at 07:48 PM.