Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM

Default No response

I'm posting again here, in the hope that I may get a response. I originally posted in the Windows and PLE thread. I'm desperate for some kind of reply - maybe people don't know but even a don't know from a moderator would be good please. (see below)

Hi there

I've just purchases MBox 2 pro with Pro tools Le 7.1. I checked the spec of my laptop before hand and everything seemed to fitexcept the RAM which I'm planning to upgrade BUT I don't want to pay out £80 for a gig of memory when it won't work even with this.

Digi Hardware:MBox 2 pro
PTLE Version:7.1
Laptop Name and Model #:Samsung X30 Intel Pentium M 1.7GHZ
Ram type and Amt.:512 MB but can expand to 2GB
Hard Drive Config.:Ultra DMA 100
Firewire Card or Connection (Name and Model#):IEEE 1394 4 pin
Chipset: Intel 82855PM

Experiences:

No sound from the box at all with headphones or monitors and Pro tools crashes after loading.

Message: 'DAE can't get audio from the drive fast enough (-9073)'

Also when I try to run the demo session as a test I get the following message: 'The original disk allocation from this session cannot be used. Your IO settings have chnaged since last session'

Please can anyone help - I've just paid a lot of money for this and I need to know if it will work and what to do to make it work.

Thanks

Yours desperately

Tracy
Old 02-06-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: No response

Hi Tracy,

I'm not a windows guy so I'm probably not the best person to help you but I can offer a couple suggestions of things to try.

1. make sure your test sessions are on your external drive.
2. experiment with different DAE buffer sizes
3. Do a search on the Digi support page of the actual error prompt. There might be some suggestions there as well.

Goog luck.

Charlie
Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

1. I don't have an external drive, I just have the laptop hard drive. I wasn't aware that this was necessary.
2. I'll try this.
3. Have done this.

Do you know if not having enough RAM would stop everything working?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

1. I don't have an external drive, I just have the laptop hard drive. I wasn't aware that this was necessary.
2. I'll try this.
3. Have done this.

Do you know if not having enough RAM would stop everything working?
The laptop drive isn't fast enough for use with Pro Tools, so you will need a compatible Firewire drive.

You should post your complete system specs using Sandra or PCWizard according to the instructions in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks for this.
I'm gutted because I checked my spec on the website and everything seemed to be correct. Now I have paid £500 for something that will not work unless I spend lots more money. If I had known thia I would have bought different equipment.

I will post in the other thread as you suggest.

Tracy
Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:

The laptop drive isn't fast enough for use with Pro Tools, so you will need a compatible Firewire drive.

Yup, I easily noticed a difference when I got myself an external Firewire drive on my MacBook. Before having one I often got memory errors and problems. As soon as I got the external drive, suggested by a friend who uses Pro Tools in a pro studio since many years, I totally saw the difference and had no more problems. Now running smoothly as honey!!

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Are there any drives that can be suggested for my PC laptop - I have a Samsung X30?

I'm torn now as to whether to sell this or get a new Macbook but if I will need an external drive with this as well then I may as well stick with my PC and get a firewire drive. (Sigh)

The only problem is I have only one 4 pin firewire input on my X30 and the MBox is connected to that. Is there a way round this? Sorry, so many stupid questions. I am a bit new to computer music, as you may have noticed. For years have just been plugging my guitar and mike into a portastudio and pressing record!

Thanks for all the advice

Tracy