Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Default MBOX 2 Line Inputs OVERLOADING!?!...please help

bascially ive been going through hell trying to figure out something that should be so simple......I have a motif es and korg triton extreme which both peak when inserted into the line inputs of the mbox2.........i managed to find a way around it by using the DI inputs and the -20dB pad......but from my understanding theres an impedance difference between keyboards which are line and Guitars/bass etc which are DI.......digidesign techsupport told me it could be a hardware issue but i exchanged it and still the same problem........the funny thing is that in the manual (under connecting keyboards)it says to press in the switch til the Line LED light turns on(WHEN THERE IS NO LINE LED....JUST MIC AND DI)........the signal should not clip when the gain knobs are at zero. Currently im running protools 7 with PowerMac G4.......all help is appreciated
Old 02-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: MBOX 2 Line Inputs OVERLOADING!?!...please help

I have a similar situation and have contacted Digi Tech Support by telephone about what I consider to be incredibly HOT inputs. They said that this is normal for the MBox 2 and that it is normal for a signal to be present when the input control is set to zero. Not what I was used to with other equipment, but apparently the norm for Digi stuff - they refered to it working the same as the 002/002r pre-amps. I can pin the DI input using a guitar (w/humbuckers) direct with the input level set to zero - I have to use the pad. Same with the line inputs - way hot, but the pad works on the line inputs also. I'm not sure how you were able to get less signal using the DI inputs???
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 02-18-2006, 05:40 PM

The 20dB pad helps the DI inputs because it actually stops the signal from peaking....If i try to use the Pad on the Line Inputs, I dont see the peak LED turn on but i still hear that nasty distortion in my headphones....I really dont know what digidesign is thinking.....the fact that they say its normal to hear the input signal when the knobs are at zero is ridiculous......thats probably why i get this insane millisecond delay whenever i try to record the pitchbend from my triton extreme............til this day ive been backing up protools but when my older brother shows me how easily he connects the motif to his PC using his Tascam US 122 interface......He has no delay and doesnt have to use any Pad to lower the signal.......AND HIS SOUNDCARD IS ONLY $300.........at least now i know im not the only user with this problem....AND WHATS UP WITH THIS MIX KNOB......POINTLESS!!!!!!...SURE I DONT HEAR THE DELAY WHEN ITS ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT....BUT I DONT HEAR THE MIX EITHER....WHAT GOOD DOES THAT DO???????.......IF DIGI DOESNT SORT THIS OUT I WONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF
Old 02-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Are you using or can you try using TRS cables for your connection to the line inputs? You should also investigate the possibility of a ground loop involved with the distortion - go bare bones with the computer (no network/telephone cable connected) and Motif only, connected to the same power outlet. You also could try uninstall/reinstall to clean up any driver issues. As for the mix knob - works fine here (except with S/PDIF, but that's a whole other issue).
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 02-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Chucks....well....i am using TRS cables....wouldnt make sense not to use a balanced connection...........and as far as the ground loop......i doubt that i would be getting it only into the line inputs and not the DIs....thanks though.....i hope im not goin to regret it later on that im using the DIs right now for my music
on a good note.......i managed to fix that horrible delay by simply muting the midi track.......a little weird to me but it fixed the problem. i basically have everything working now but my motif is still connectedto my DIs
ps.....already been on the phone with digi and reinstalled drivers.......didnt help at all.....and i have no network connections