Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2022, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Audio Ease Speakerphone Level Issues

I wasn't here for a while. The last film project kept me really busy...

Finally I managed to store and automate my Speakerphone settings in a reproducible way.
I had to redo some of my mixes because I didn't realize that I leveled against this auto gain thing in the first run. After disabling this "feature" my volume automation of course wasn't usable anymore

Thanks again everyone for your hints. I really don't know why this auto gain feature even exists. Maybe this would be useful for some live application. But who uses this plugin for live mixing??

Stay healthy!
T
Old 02-13-2022, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I wasn't here for a while. The last film project kept me really busy...

Finally I managed to store and automate my Speakerphone settings in a reproducible way.
I had to redo some of my mixes because I didn't realize that I leveled against this auto gain thing in the first run. After disabling this "feature" my volume automation of course wasn't usable anymore

Thanks again everyone for your hints. I really don't know why this auto gain feature even exists. Maybe this would be useful for some live application. But who uses this plugin for live mixing??

Stay healthy!
T
Many many years ago (probably 10 years back) I asked Arjen if they could add the input gain to the automation lanes and about an option to stop the auto gain from re-engaging every time you select a different preset that would then destroy your speakers.
He said that they don't want to do that because the presets rely on the input signal arriving in a certain corridor for the preset to sound as intended because many of them make use of the dynamics section and the levels of the sample rack need to correspond to the incoming signal.

Even though I understand the dilemma, I explained to him that it's a quite dangerous "feature" when you bump the input gain without noticing. He understands but said they would not change it as the presets would not work anymore.

Many people over the years complained that SP has unreliable automation but it's actually only that input gain level that isn't automated in combination with auto-gain. Once you realise that it's actually very reliable in terms of reproducing the same sound on every pass. Just turn auto gain off and set input gain to 0dB after picking a different preset and it should be fine. Not ideal but that's the way it is.

F

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-13-2022 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:29 AM

I asked Arjen the same thing and got the same response.
I never understood what was the problem with making autogain automate-able?
Surely that would solve all the issues?
Anyhow I still use it too,it's a great plugin,you just have to be aware of it's foibles, or commit it to be safe.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:45 PM

Same answer I got.
Sometimes the reason for not doing something is irrational and hiding beyond common sense. Yet technically it might be not only adding to automations a single control but overhaul the whole system.

I use SP for years and I love it but even knowing the auto gain issue and making sure each time to set it off, I keep my fingers crossed while clients screening the session passes the SP automations aria.
Its still in aprox 5% something wrong going on with SP reading its automations. Another play hit often fixes it.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 02-14-2022, 03:58 AM

This is another reason why I use McDSP's FutzBox. It just works. Now, maybe some of the impulses may not sound as good as SP, but I have never had a client be unhappy with a sound even if they want me to tailor it -- which usually means making radios sound "smaller", which is easily accomplished. And there are some "tricks" you can do to simulate the microphone feature of SP to make the radio or phone sound more "pushed back" than simply adding room reverb. If I ever want an amplifier sound from SP, I Audiosuite it.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-14-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
This is another reason why I use McDSP's FutzBox. It just works. Now, maybe some of the impulses may not sound as good as SP, but I have never had a client be unhappy with a sound even if they want me to tailor it -- which usually means making radios sound "smaller", which is easily accomplished. And there are some "tricks" you can do to simulate the microphone feature of SP to make the radio or phone sound more "pushed back" than simply adding room reverb. If I ever want an amplifier sound from SP, I Audiosuite it.
Was going to post the same. I use FutzBox as an insert. If I ever use SP I render it.