How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2021, 05:43 PM

Default AAE error -9173

Hello all,

I keep getting an AAE -9173 error. says it "ran out of CPU power, try deactivating or removing Native plugins".

I've googled this and cant get any answers. I have nothing else open, nothing running in the background but pro tools. I have a fair amount of plugins and lots of edits, but its so random. For instance, all last night, after committing all elastic audio and taking all precautions, I got to mixing for several hours and rarely encountering this. Today, I cannot run the track past the intro. I have my buffer size all the way up and everything I could scrape off the web applied to minimize CPU usage

The weird thing is it shows my session using a ton of CPU when not even playing the track. On my activity monitor I'm never using more than 75% of CPU. On PT CPU monitor, it has an eerily high amount of usage even when not playing the track. It also seems to float no higher than 75% usage but randomly hits 100% and stops the track from playing. Often, when doing this is then starts playing my track mega distorted and bad sounding so I have to save and re open the session. I can't mix like this. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 with the latest PT 2021 on a MBP from 2012 maxed with 16 gigs of ram. I know I could use more Ram, but it seems theres plenty of headroom in my CPU for these sessions. I'd like to continue without committing my edits or plugins.

Any advice? Thank you in advance. See attached pic for CPU usage while NOT playing the session.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.33.48 PM.png (45.7 KB, 0 views)

Main Drive:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
PT 2021.6.0

Other bootable drive:
OS X 10.9.5
ProTools 10
Old 07-21-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Aae -9173

Edit - Ive taken to committing tracks so I can get going, committing multiple tracks at once proved to be a no go right quick, I'll do em one by one if I have to. Now it repeatedly crashed while trying to commit my drum overhead track... Does all of the other drum tracks with Trigger 2 on it just fine lol. God save me from this terrible program.

Main Drive:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
PT 2021.6.0

Other bootable drive:
OS X 10.9.5
ProTools 10
Old 07-21-2021, 06:46 PM

MacBook Pro 2012 isnt supported anymore.....i think
Old 07-21-2021, 07:26 PM

Perhaps it's a plug in bug or rogue error in a plug in. I've seen tons of post about this, where it's advised to take ALL the plugs out and put it in an un-used folder, restart the computer and protools and see if the problem exist, then put in a batch of plugs into the proper folder at a time, 10-20 and see if the issue comes back and if it does then one of those plugs is bad. corrupt, needs an update. And of course there's the usual trashing prefs, etc as seen in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2fJHOz8GA
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 07-22-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdelivery View Post
Hello all,

I keep getting an AAE -9173 error. says it "ran out of CPU power, try deactivating or removing Native plugins".

I've googled this and cant get any answers. I have nothing else open, nothing running in the background but pro tools. I have a fair amount of plugins and lots of edits, but its so random. For instance, all last night, after committing all elastic audio and taking all precautions, I got to mixing for several hours and rarely encountering this. Today, I cannot run the track past the intro. I have my buffer size all the way up and everything I could scrape off the web applied to minimize CPU usage

The weird thing is it shows my session using a ton of CPU when not even playing the track. On my activity monitor I'm never using more than 75% of CPU. On PT CPU monitor, it has an eerily high amount of usage even when not playing the track. It also seems to float no higher than 75% usage but randomly hits 100% and stops the track from playing. Often, when doing this is then starts playing my track mega distorted and bad sounding so I have to save and re open the session. I can't mix like this. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 with the latest PT 2021 on a MBP from 2012 maxed with 16 gigs of ram. I know I could use more Ram, but it seems theres plenty of headroom in my CPU for these sessions. I'd like to continue without committing my edits or plugins.

Any advice? Thank you in advance. See attached pic for CPU usage while NOT playing the session.
Those cpu idle numbers aren't really out of line - I'd not worry about them. What I'd worry about is the random hitting 100% with the PT cpu meter going red. What third party plugins are you running? Acustica plugins tend to be cpu hogs. Any reverbs? Any vi's?

As to distorted sound and playing rough I sometimes get that but it clears when I reboot. Doing things other than PT related can eat resources that don't get returned to the system when you quit them. Are you doing any wireless stuff like internet browsing?

QAPLA!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Those cpu idle numbers aren't really out of line - I'd not worry about them. What I'd worry about is the random hitting 100% with the PT cpu meter going red. What third party plugins are you running? Acustica plugins tend to be cpu hogs. Any reverbs? Any vi's?

As to distorted sound and playing rough I sometimes get that but it clears when I reboot. Doing things other than PT related can eat resources that don't get returned to the system when you quit them. Are you doing any wireless stuff like internet browsing?
Yeah I agree.

I think the CPU hog plugins I was running was SSD Trigger 2 and JST Howard Benson Vocals - especially the latter. I had to mix vocals with busses because I could not apply that JST plugin to every vocal track - which was giving less than satisfactory results. Odd though cuz I have dynamic processing turned on.

I've honestly resorted to committing my tracks, I think my system just couldn't handle it (never had to do this in all my years recording my bands with PT 10). Sounding better now that I can apply plugins on the actual tracks anyway. I appreciate everyone's input.

Main Drive:
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
PT 2021.6.0

Other bootable drive:
OS X 10.9.5
ProTools 10
Old 07-22-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdelivery View Post
...I've googled this and cant get any answers...
Paste this in Google:
"fix for AAE -9173 error" – site: duc.avid.com

Or, for any topic:
“topic of your choice" – site: duc.avid.com

Above method seems to “search” better … and tells me your conclusion is correct:

Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try de-activating or removing Native plug-ins. (AAE error -9173)
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...CPU-power-9173

If the CPU meter is > 80% you should systematically deactivate Native plug-ins to find the most CPU intensive one. You can then deactivate and replace with a less CPU intensive plug-in or Bounce/Commit the processed audio to a new track and deactivate the original track.

When Hyperthreading is turned off:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ay-to-fix-them
“Some Windows users have reported improvements when Hyperthreading is turned off, although it would seem this is much less helpful for Mac users”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 07-23-2021, 04:47 AM

When I google it, I get results. This might be useful, there are a number of different things to try.:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Tools-AAE-9173
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash