Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Default Pro Tools was working great yesterday but not today...

Currently cannot play or record anything due to the "audio device buffer underflowed" error message.

I was finally able to record into my 2014 iMac after having buffer issues for months. I thought that the upgrade in OS had solved my problems but they have resurfaced. Any tips/ideas?

Using 003 rack as interface.

thanks,

C

Last edited by phiffdawg; 12-12-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Question Re: Pro Tools was working great yesterday but not today...

Pro Tools version? Mac OS X version? Amount of RAM? Buffer size (Setup-->Playback Engine)? Is your Thunderbolt-->FireWire adapter connected directly to the Mac or to another Thunderbolt peripheral?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools was working great yesterday but not today...

Hi, I apologize for my lack of information in my initial post:

Pro Tools 11.3.1
OS 10.10.5
8 gb memory
I get the same error message whatever buffer size I have set
Thunderbolt adapter goes directly to the Mac
Old 12-12-2015, 04:14 PM

Something likely changed. Your mission is to work out what. OS updates turned off? Any interesting error messages in the OS X Console (Console.app)?

Make sure the 003 is actually selected as the playback engine. Do not assume, check. If that is not it trash prefs and do other standard troubleshooting. Try reinstalling the 003 drivers.

Try a different adapter and/or FireWire cable. FireWire light on the 003? Do *not* futz around hot plugging/unplugging the 003 you risk breaking it if it is not already.

If that is not it... Is the system fully optimized? Every last thing? This happen on every session? New empty sessions? With Built-In output selected as the playback engine? With all plugins temp. removed from the plugin folder? Try creating a new admin user in OS X and testing from there. Roll back to the last know working backup,... No backup? Worse case you may end up reinstalling OS X and Pro Tools from scratch.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Thanks Darryl. I understand some of your questions but not all. I spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting this before and feel like I am back at square one; in the dark and not understanding half of what I need to try.

Something likely changed. Your mission is to work out what. OS updates turned off? I don't know how to check this
Any interesting error messages in the OS X Console (Console.app)?
I don't know how to check this

Make sure the 003 is actually selected as the playback engine. Do not assume, check. Yes, the 003 was and is the playback engine.

Try a different adapter and/or FireWire cable. FireWire light on the 003? Do *not* futz around hot plugging/unplugging the 003 you risk breaking it if it is not already.
I wonder if this is where the problem is. I don't think I see a firewire light but where should this be?

thanks for replying, Chris
Old 12-12-2015, 05:28 PM

If you are sure the 003 is selected as the playback engine then it is working with its device driver and the Link LED (rear panel) and 1394 LEDs (front display of console) that normally would be checked on a 003 should not matter.

I would still try a different cable and adapter if you have one.

In Console.app under system log do you see any interesting looking messages or warnings around the time you get the errors from Pro Tools?

We cannot guess what troubleshooting you have done. You really need to explain exactly what you have tried of what I have suggested and the other standard trouble shooting steps all under the "help us help you"... Link up the top of this DUC web page.

Things like how to turn off OS X updates are a standard part of systems optimization. Not knowing how to tell that makes me worry your system is likely not optimized and if that basic stuff was not done, who knows what else is correctly set up? E.g. What make/model drive are the audio/session files on? If a HDD (vs. an SSD) is it dedicated to just audio/sessions? Get open the Pro Tools install documentation, and follow those I structions (for your OS X version)s to properly optimize the system.

Do the other things I have suggested as well.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-12-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 AM

ok thanks.

It appears that the issue is caused by a loose connection between the thunder adapter and the computer. Certainly doesn't seem like a super solid connection in either thunderbolt ports on the iMac. If I move the cable just the tiniest bit ProTools freaks out. This happens with either port.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Post Re: Pro Tools was working great yesterday but not today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiffdawg View Post
If I move the cable just the tiniest bit ProTools freaks out.
Which end of the cable are you moving the tiniest bit? The Thunderbolt end or the FireWire end? You might just have to find a way to position the adapter so nothing freaks out and then do not touch it.

Thunderbolt-->FireWire adapters are $30. If you are willing to part with that, you could see if another one makes a difference. Don't expect a refund unless you are willing to lug your entire setup (yes, the whole thing) to a Genius Bar and demonstrate. I couldn't even get a Genius to replace a dead HDD unless I brought the computer it came from to prove that the computer was OK. Ridiculous, but I digress, if only slightly.

You could buy a Thunderbolt dock with a FireWire port, though those cost 10x more than the adapter.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:34 PM

I'm always suspicions of Firewire cables, so make sure that side is not the problem.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM

Any suggestions as to which brand adapter and firewire cable to buy to get my 003 working? This problem is reappearing even when I don't touch the iMac. The only loose connection I see is where the adapter plugs in to the computer but I cannot tell what is causing the problem exactly. I figure I will just replace the adapter and the cable.