Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Re: OLED brightness

I returned the unit under warranty, and I got it back with new OLED's. Good service of AVID!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPaolo View Post
I returned the unit under warranty, and I got it back with new OLED's. Good service of AVID!

Sweet! that's always good to hear.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 AM

Glad to hear they fixed yours! Did you go through phone support?

Same issue here - #10 is very dim, below zero in the OLED brightness utility.
#30 is just dead, and is of course one of the ones I need the most.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _charlie_ View Post
Glad to hear they fixed yours! Did you go through phone support?

Same issue here - #10 is very dim, below zero in the OLED brightness utility.
#30 is just dead, and is of course one of the ones I need the most.
Unfortunately I've contacted support and they're telling me the unit (under two years old) is out of warranty and that we need to pay USD 1,446.91 to return it for repair!!

Avid expects us to pay 25% of the purchase price to fix two displays? Unless they do the right thing here and fix it, I have a plan: I'll replace it with something that won't show defects (or go back to mixing with a mouse) and sell the old unit. In any case Avid won't see another dollar from us. So much for support... This is exactly what I was afraid of and half-expecting.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:28 PM

Yep. Avid Hardware warranties are only 1 year. It's written on everything that comes with the S3. Pretty bad.

If you bought it with a credit card, I'd check if your card's plan extends that warranty. Or if you bought through a reseller who extends the warranty (like Sweetwater) check with them.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If you bought it with a credit card, I'd check if your card's plan extends that warranty. Or if you bought through a reseller who extends the warranty (like Sweetwater) check with them.
Yeah, we're going to contact Full Compass and see if they'll help. I wonder if it's possible to purchase & replace the faulty parts.

Isn't a 1 year warranty insufficient on an item that costs five grand?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by _charlie_ View Post
Unfortunately I've contacted support and they're telling me the unit (under two years old) is out of warranty and that we need to pay USD 1,446.91 to return it for repair!!

Avid expects us to pay 25% of the purchase price to fix two displays? Unless they do the right thing here and fix it, I have a plan: I'll replace it with something that won't show defects (or go back to mixing with a mouse) and sell the old unit. In any case Avid won't see another dollar from us. So much for support... This is exactly what I was afraid of and half-expecting.
Let me ask around that does seem high. I'm on holiday till next week so might not get back to you until then but message me next week and I'll see what I've found out. Where are you based ?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Avid

You can sign up for a year's warranty and have this fixed for less than 1/4 of the cost of a one-off repair. You then get 1 years extra warranty too. I'll give your contact details to someone in Customer Service who can explain it to you before you decide.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You can sign up for a year's warranty and have this fixed for less than 1/4 of the cost of a one-off repair. You then get 1 years extra warranty too. I'll give your contact details to someone in Customer Service who can explain it to you before you decide.
Thanks - I hadn't realized this was an option. Was it you who sent Bill L. my direction? Thanks for that too!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM

Here's my post-vacation update: As Eddie mentioned and I alluded above, Avid reached out directly and offered us an extended support contract for $249. Enticing as that may be, Full Compass has a "Free repair program" for items past their manufacturer warranty but under two years old. Bingo! Although they're not an Avid authorized repair center, they're a huge Avid dealer. I spoke with someone in their repair department. He said if they couldn't get the parts to fix this from Avid, they'd go ahead and send the whole unit to Avid.

So this is going to get fixed and for the cost of shipping both ways. Chicago to Madison shouldn't be too bad. We're a non-profit, so cost is always a large consideration. I can't tell you how happy I am we bought this from Full Compass!