Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2001, 08:11 AM

Default Want to go MAC....track counts?

Hi everybody. I've been thinking of purchasing a PowerMac G4 along with a Digi001/PTLE. I've read the posts on the "Bechmark comparison" thread, and I know now how many tracks I can expect to record simultaneously with the listed plugins.

My question is this: since I will rarely be recording more than a few tracks at a time...how many tracks can I expect to playback on a PowerMac G4 at the same time? Could some of you out there please list your G4 specs and tell me how big your projects can be track-wise? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I'll be able to do with my new G4/ATA66 Hard Drive setup. Thanks in advance!

-HL
Old 05-10-2001, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Want to go MAC....track counts?

With Pro Tools LE, you are always limited to the maximum of 24 tracks regardless of your computer's speed. Playing tracks is a really easy task for the computer. Running plug-ins is a completely different matter.

Z
Old 05-10-2001, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus:
With Pro Tools LE, you are always limited to the maximum of 24 tracks regardless of your computer's speed. Playing tracks is a really easy task for the computer. Running plug-ins is a completely different matter.

Z
Ahhh, true enough. I just reread the specs on LE. Missed that. D'oh! Now I change my question somewhat. What kind of track counts are people playing back/mixing on a G4 with Protools 5.1 (the non-LE version)?
Please list your system specs, too. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2001, 08:46 AM

64 simultaneous tracks (maximum) with the precious TDM Mix hardware. But you'll have to pay about 10 times as much as the Digi001 system costs.

With the TDM hardware, computer speed means almost nothing. A fast hard disk (or many of them) is a benefit. You know, when I'm running dozens of tracks and plug-ins with Pro Tools TDM, I have no activity shown on the CPU usage meter...And now, since PT 5.1 can use host processing (albeit in a little limited way), the computer's power is available for plug-in processing, which is often a real blessing.

But the price...Could I ever afford to buy TDM myself? Not in a lifetime, I guess...

Z
Old 05-10-2001, 04:18 PM

On my G4/500 single processor with 640 meg of ram (you don't need this much ram), 2 x 7200 rpm IDE HDD and using the Digi001. I should get 16 tracks recording simutanieously, but I have only recorded using 12 tracks (haven't tried 16 tracks yet).
You will get in real time plugins..... 24 tracks with 1 x EQ, 1 x comp , 24 x bus sends on each track. On buses you should get 1 x reverb (this is the cpu killer), 1 x slap delay. On master fader you should get EQ, limiter, comp.
If you want more plugin count, get the Mac G4/733. Oh and don't forget you have Audio Suite plugins for effects if you lose cpu power.

Nick
Old 05-10-2001, 08:32 PM

you could use a program that supports digi and get even more tracks of 'playback' than that...i.e logic/digital peformer.