Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 AM

Default Relinking/conforming surround channels after a re-edit?

Hey all, a client did a TV cutdown of a film we mixed using our dia/arch/fx/mus 5.1 stem files, essentially going from 100min to 90min.

In doing so, they dropped the surround and LFE files and only edited with the LCR from each stem.

Is there an easy, non-edl way of resyncing the LsRsLfe files? I thought for sure FIELD RECORDER fun would do the trick, but it's not working correctly (it ends up trying to relink a bunch of wrong clips and tracks, even if the search criteria is limited to just ONE other file).

Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Relinking/conforming surround channels after a re-edit?

Easiest way, if the metadata was preserved, is to show timecode in the clip to make manual conforming much easier.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 AM

For sure, but they made hundreds of cuts, so a manual conform is the last thing we want to do, haha.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Field recorder method should work. Just use TC as your only match criteria and select a folder with only the files you need.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:42 AM

I/We do this very thing all of the time.

To do it we use a combination of EdiLoad and PT Field Recorder guide tracks.

We embed the 5.1 stems with metadata and reconform from an EDL given to us from Video. We use EdiLoad to create tracks from the EDL that we can conform against and the add the metatdata into the clips (we generate this auto-magically from the clip name)

I can go further into this, but this is how I would do this. Matching by time code is an option, but I find that the result when there are multiple stems requires too much manual clean up .

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseelye02 View Post
Hey all, a client did a TV cutdown of a film we mixed using our dia/arch/fx/mus 5.1 stem files, essentially going from 100min to 90min.

In doing so, they dropped the surround and LFE files and only edited with the LCR from each stem.

Is there an easy, non-edl way of resyncing the LsRsLfe files? I thought for sure FIELD RECORDER fun would do the trick, but it's not working correctly (it ends up trying to relink a bunch of wrong clips and tracks, even if the search criteria is limited to just ONE other file).

Any thoughts?
Denver, CO
Old 12-20-2018, 07:16 AM

Thanks all.

And Randall, you're right about the TC matching - it sorta works but there's so much manual work to do after the fact.

We don't have EdiLoad but the quick looking around I did yesterday lead me to that every time, probably time to get into it.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:22 PM

You might not need EDiLoad..

You need to make sure that the Roll name in the video clips matches the Tape number/name in the wav files.

I use Wave Agent (Free) to add metadata to the Audio Stems.

EdiLoad just makes this process easier.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseelye02 View Post
Thanks all.

And Randall, you're right about the TC matching - it sorta works but there's so much manual work to do after the fact.

We don't have EdiLoad but the quick looking around I did yesterday lead me to that every time, probably time to get into it.
Denver, CO
Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Oh, that's interesting actually, never thought to embed my own metadata for the field criteria to grab onto.

Thanks for that!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Just a thought.

If they did hundreds of cuts, you're better off re- laying the music from the original stems. That music is now useless anyway.
With automation follows edit turned off, and recut the music the right way.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Totally agree!

And in fact, in the meantime, I've had the AE create EDLs for each stem (since they were all cut differently) for use in Conformalizer... I think that'll end up working fine after a quick test run.

Thanks all!