Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Default first audio track in session randomly loses it's voice or something?

Current system:
Pro Tools HD 12.6
OS 10.12.1

I have experienced this on many different combinations of pt versions and os versions on many different computers for several years.

Sometimes, the top audio track in my session stops playing back. It is active, it says it has an active voice, it has an active output, etc. It worked 30 seconds ago, and I hit play and something is missing... Oh, the first track isn't playing anything. The meter moves on it, everything looks fine, visually.

For a long time, this would happen and the fix was to save and close my session and re-open it and everything is fine. One day it kept happening, and I just created a new audio track and put it first in my session and just didn't use it. This seemed to work as well. Once I discovered that, I could just make a new track and there is no need to save, close and re-open.

But I just upgraded to a new computer with a brand new version of pro tools. This bug that I have been experienced since the pt8 days can't still be around, can it? Sure enough... It is!

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a way to fix it?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Re: first audio track in session randomly loses it's voice or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
Current system:
Pro Tools HD 12.6
OS 10.12.1

I have experienced this on many different combinations of pt versions and os versions on many different computers for several years.

Sometimes, the top audio track in my session stops playing back. It is active, it says it has an active voice, it has an active output, etc. It worked 30 seconds ago, and I hit play and something is missing... Oh, the first track isn't playing anything. The meter moves on it, everything looks fine, visually.

For a long time, this would happen and the fix was to save and close my session and re-open it and everything is fine. One day it kept happening, and I just created a new audio track and put it first in my session and just didn't use it. This seemed to work as well. Once I discovered that, I could just make a new track and there is no need to save, close and re-open.

But I just upgraded to a new computer with a brand new version of pro tools. This bug that I have been experienced since the pt8 days can't still be around, can it? Sure enough... It is!

is this happening while opening older sessions ?? or when making new session from a Blank ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-25-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Re: first audio track in session randomly loses it's voice or something?

I had something similar with 12.5 and 12.6 using HD. I'd instantiate a plugin on a different track and would lose output on another.

I got rid of older plugs I wasn't using and updated all others to their most current. Then did a clean install and trashed prefs.

Seemed to clean it up.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Just an update on this - I am now currently experiencing this happening across multipke tracks, and it seems to be random and it does not seem to be the top several tracks only. There are just random tracks (I am using pretty much all of my available 128 tracks, so it's not easy to identirfy all of the affected tracks). But it does seem to be in groups of tracks. I am not seeing a lotof just one track with this issue by itself. If it happens, it seems to happen on like 6-7 simultaneous tracks. Then it will skip a few dozen tracks, and then a noterh several tracks in a row just aren't outputting anything.

Putting that blank track at the top doesn't sem to fix it anymore. And I am having to save, close and reopen my session every hour or so. This is pretty frustrating.

Quote:
is this happening while opening older sessions ?? or when making new session from a Blank ??
I am using a template for this project currently that was created using pt 10. Updating the template may be a good idea. but I won't have time to rebuild it until the weekend.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
Current system:
Pro Tools HD 12.6
OS 10.12.1

I've had this happen since PT 10 although not that often. Just scrubbing on the track fixes it for me.