How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Default PT12 Installing Hardware Drivers Warning

Hi all,

In the Pro_Tools_Installation_94853.pdf In page 3, there is a warning that read:

Installing Hardware Drivers
Before installing Pro Tools software, install the latest drivers for your hardware. Refer to the documentation that came with your audio hardware for more information. For Avid audio interfaces, download and install the drivers for your Avid hardware from www.avid.com/drivers. Pro Tools will not recognize your audio interface if you do not install the drivers. If you are upgrading Pro Tools, be sure to install the latest drivers for your hardware.

This is kind of embarrassing, I'm new to the forums and to the audio realm, this is my first Pro Tools instal. I followed every steep, from creating an account, to iLok setup to PT software instal. I haven't done anything with hardware drivers yet, because I'm waiting for an Apogee Element 24 that hopefully would arrive next Tuesday. I would love to launch PT for the first time and play with it, but I don't know if its a good idea. I did a clean instal of my OSX and I don't want to mess around with it.

Am I being to cautious and paranoid? Its there a way to run PT without a audio interface in the meantime?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 AM

Default Re: PT12 Installing Hardware Drivers Warning

You can launch PT, and you won't do any harm, but without an interface, you're not going to be able to do much. The good thing is when you do get your Apogee, install the drivers, connect the interface to your computer, then launch PT. You will have to go into Playback Engine and select the Apogee, then set up your I/O settings. These settings are covered in the PT manual.

System Details