Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Re: midi

Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Window 7 Pro 64. Pro Tools 12.7 perpetual.

Focusrite 2i4 (2nd Generation)
Sonuus G2M (version 3) universal guitar to midi converter. (monophonic)
I become overwhelmed by all the information and settings that PT offers!
PT offers me $100 of training… any suggestions?
I can setup and record audio tracks with plug-ins.
I was able to record the midi notes to a track without any sound or vi... but apparently I forgot that as well!
Guess I have to be more patient… an old school 4-track recorder trying to fast forward in the digital recording world.
Any help and support is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonStudio View Post
Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Window 7 Pro 64. Pro Tools 12.7 perpetual.

happy to try and help / we need to figure out what you feel confident doing and what you are having real trouble with ..

1) I can setup and record audio tracks with plug-ins. are you truly Good here ???

2) I was able to record the midi notes to a track without any sound or vi... but apparently I forgot that as well! you forgot ?? so, you did make it happen at least once ??

3) have you used any other programs at all ??

4) or is pro tools your 1st DAW ??

5) are you are getting Midi Signal into Pro Tools

please answer these as best you can ..

thank you

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Hi john1192,
1) Can setup and record audio tracks with plugins. (delay, reverb, distortion, amps, etc…) I can navigate through many of the easier screens and shortcuts as a novice.
2) Was able to record the midi notes (dashes, dots) without sounds. Unable to do this again and of course I didn’t save the session.
3) There are other programs and software that was included in many of the hardware purchases. (ableton live, novation bassstation, focusrite drums and plugins, protools first, addictive keys)
4) PT 12.7 is my first DAW. Did some studio recording in the past but all the recording, mixing and editing performed by others. I just played.
5) Was getting midi into PT but haven’t been able to recreate. Is there an easy way to verify if signal is being received?

Hardware Chain: guitar-(1/4” jack) in to sonuus G2M universal midi converter (monophonic)-(midi in) in to focusrite scarlett 2i4 interface-(USB) out to computer PT 12.7- 2i4 interface headphones and monitors.

New Track: mono or stereo (doesn’t make a difference)-instrument-ticks.

INSTRUMENT
Predefined – focusrite USB MIDI In
MIDI Output selector *THIS MAY BE WHERE MY PROBLEM IS?*
“Xpand!2 1-1”
Vol 96
Pan 0
INSERTS A-E
Insert assignment A
“Xpand!2”
SENDS A-E
Send Assignment A
Out 1-2 (stereo) -> Output 1-2
Inst 1
Send a
Out 1-2
SAFE PRE FMP
I/O
Audio Input Path selector
“Input 1”
AUTO
auto read
no group

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated…
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Hi john1192,
1) Can setup and record audio tracks with plugins. (delay, reverb, distortion, amps, etc…) I can navigate through many of the easier screens and shortcuts as a novice.
2) Was able to record the midi notes (dashes, dots) without sounds. Unable to do this again and of course I didn’t save the session.
3) There are other programs and software that was included in many of the hardware purchases. (ableton live, novation bassstation, focusrite drums and plugins, protools first, addictive keys)
4) PT 12.7 is my first DAW. Did some studio recording in the past but all the recording, mixing and editing performed by others. I just played.
5) Was getting midi into PT but haven’t been able to recreate. Is there an easy way to verify if signal is being received?

Hardware Chain: guitar-(1/4” jack) in to sonuus G2M universal midi converter (monophonic)-(midi in) in to focusrite scarlett 2i4 interface-(USB) out to computer PT 12.7- 2i4 interface headphones and monitors.

New Track: mono or stereo (doesn’t make a difference)-instrument-ticks.

INSTRUMENT
Predefined – focusrite USB MIDI In
MIDI Output selector *THIS MAY BE WHERE MY PROBLEM IS?*
“Xpand!2 1-1”
Vol 96
Pan 0
INSERTS A-E
Insert assignment A
“Xpand!2”
SENDS A-E
Send Assignment A
Inst 1
Send a
Out 1-2
SAFE PRE FMP
I/O
“Input 1”
AUTO
auto read
no group

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated…
lets start here ..

1) midi input .. see pics for how to setup and then see input from Midi inputs / if you are NOT seeing your midi interface / keyboard / guitar to midi device then let us know .. but it sounds like you have that already .. right ??

UPDATE: the 1st track is an instrument track / the 2nd track is a midi track actually playing the instrument (organ) on the instrument track

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
lets start here ..

1) midi input .. see pics for how to setup and then see input from Midi inputs / if you are NOT seeing your midi interface / keyboard / guitar to midi device then let us know .. but it sounds like you have that already .. right ??

UPDATE: the 1st track is an instrument track / the 2nd track is a midi track actually playing the instrument (organ) on the instrument track
Implied in John's pictures is that everything is talking on the same MIDI channel. To see what your interface is sending and also basically to see that it's working is to download the free MIDI-Ox utility. Run that and play through your converter and you should see a stream of data that'll tell you what's coming from the converter. I'm a big fan of MIDI monitor utilities like this when troubleshooting MIDI issues.

QAPLA!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Implied in John's pictures is that everything is talking on the same MIDI channel. To see what your interface is sending and also basically to see that it's working is to download the free MIDI-Ox utility. Run that and play through your converter and you should see a stream of data that'll tell you what's coming from the converter. I'm a big fan of MIDI monitor utilities like this when troubleshooting MIDI issues.
musicman, i love those little utilities .... thx for posting this ... maybe you can be of more help than i can, since i am a MAC person ..

i think since the OP had midi working once (no sound) but is not having success at the moment ..

thx again for chiming in .. maybe together we can get them a working creative system !!!

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
musicman, i love those little utilities .... thx for posting this ... maybe you can be of more help than i can, since i am a MAC person ..

i think since the OP had midi working once (no sound) but is not having success at the moment ..

thx again for chiming in .. maybe together we can get them a working creative system !!!

cheers john
No problem. I've been Mac for a while now but used to run a Windows system back in the day with Sonar so like you say between us we should be able to get this working. For Mac people snoize is the tool of choice here.

According to the Sonuus website at: http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html in version 3 they went to a single AA internal battery to power it (in addition to using an external 9V wall wart). The first thing I'd suggest is to change the battery but not to a Duracell coppertop - those things may have a long life but the output voltage tends to be on the low side. This is one of those units where plugging in the guitar cable turns it on so it's easy to run the battery down. Sadly there's too many stompboxes out there that do the same thing and that's why multiple output external power supplies are big sellers.

Also from the website and it's something I've found with a lot of guitar to MIDI converters is you need to have clean guitar technique. And with this piece that's even more important as it only converts one note at a time - that means no chords. The only really good setups are those that use a hexaphonic pickup mounted on the guitar (or a quad pickup for bass players).

QAPLA!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Hi Guys, I must be having a problem with my scarlett 2i4 interface. Tried the setups that you sent, loaded the MIDI-OX... can't seem to get any midi info anymore. I have contacted focusrite, hope they have an answer. Thanks for your help and support.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys, I must be having a problem with my scarlett 2i4 interface. Tried the setups that you sent, loaded the MIDI-OX... can't seem to get any midi info anymore. I have contacted focusrite, hope they have an answer. Thanks for your help and support.
Did you change the battery in the piece? And like I wrote you can't leave it plugged in as that'll run the battery down in no time. And don't try using a rechargeable Nicad - they have low voltage to begin with by design. And please make sure you put the battery in the right way

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:13 AM

Believe me I’ve tried everything… The status lights on the G2M and the Focusrite 2i4 display that the midi information is being sent from G2M>2i4. Seems there is no midi info being sent through the interface via USB. Sounds strange right. Tried all the PT/midi setups from this forum and youtube, installed MIDI-OX and can’t get that to work either. I’ve transmitted the midi info once into a PT track but have not been able to recreate, and I’m not confident enough to change any of these setting that once worked. There are many things I don’t understand about PT12, but from what I see and read, the midi interface should be pretty much plug and play. Could I have a bad interface or am I just a bumbling incompetent?