How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Please help I'm desperate

Hey Josh,
Just lastly, do you know if MBOX2 works with Logic X?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganyros View Post
do you know if MBOX2 works with Logic X?
The Mbox 2 drivers are bound to the versions of Mac OS and not specifically to the version of Pro Tools.
The last version of Mac OS which was compatible with the Mbox 2 was OS X Mavericks 10.9.4.
According to your posting you are using OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 which does not work with the Mbox 2 anymore.
Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...Mbox-2-Drivers

So you can either build back your OS X system to anything below 10.9.5 or go for a more current audio interface
which I highly would recommend.
You know, in either case you cannot run your PTLE8 anymore because the last version of Mac OS any version of PTLE8
was compatible with was OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
Means the latest version of LE8 which was 8.0.5 was only compatible with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and did not run
on any higher version of OS X than that under normal circumstances.
Means if you got it running on a higher version of Mac OS than 10.6.8 for a certain amount of time successfully this was
just accidental. Many other users never got it working on anything higher than 10.6.8 actually and LE8 never was meant
to be running on any OS above 10.6.8 by the developers. Therefor it isn´t any wonder that sooner or later it would stop
working properly (besides the non-fitting Mbox 2 driver!).
Check it out there again.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en393663

As mentioned before I would highly recommend to get rid of your Mbox 2 because you will not get happy with it with
any current versions of Mac OS as it is not supported since 10.9.4 anymore.

You can get a pretty similar kind of audio interface for $150.- only which does work with all the latest versions of Mac OS
as well as with all the latest versions of Pro Tools if you should consider upgrading your Pro Tools.
Even if you decide to use Logic the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will be a great choice for the price. Offering quite similar stuff
like the Mbox 2 the Scarlett provides a much higher audio quality than the Mbox and it even does not need any drivers
on a Mac. It´s Class Compliant which means...plug n play and no more worries about any driver compatibility in the future.
Check it out.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2
Check out the Scarlett´s OS X compatibility.
https://global.focusrite.com/downloa...t=Scarlett+2i2

The Scarlett 2i2 on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERSfHuFR1Ig

If you are in Europe the price will be about €140-150.- as well.

Replacing your Mbox with another more current audio interface will be your best option probably as you still can decide which
DAW to use afterwards. The Focusrite even will work with Garageband (in the meantime) if you should need more time to find
out which way to go DAW-wise. And unlike your Mbox 2 for example the Scarlett 2i2 will work with either DAWs (Pro Tools and
Logic) later as well as with every more current version of Mac OS including the latest one OSX Sierra.

The best of success to you.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM

P.S. you hopefully use a 2nd separate (external) drive for your Pro Tools sessions+audio files?

This is an official requirement for the work with Pro Tools by Avid and at the latest with more
than a handful of tracks you will get in trouble running all your stuff from the internal drive only
except you have one of those super fast Apple Flash drives (SSDs).

If you are using any Virtual Instruments in your sessions it becomes even worse if you are doing
it all from the internal drive only.

The basic requirement for the work with Pro Tools is a 7200rpm internal/OS drive, a 2nd separate
7200rpm drive for your Pro Tools sessions+audio files and if you have larger sample libraries for your
Virtual Instruments a 3rd separate 7200rpm drive for your samples and loops.
If you are using just a few VIs with small sample libraries you may keep those samples on the internal
OS drive as well but only if this internal drive is a 7200rpm drive. 5400rpm drives will be too slow anyway.

By the way if the 2 separate 7200rpm drives are external drives you have to use Firewire connections at
the least. USB 2 will be too slow either. If your Mac has USB 3 or Thunderbolt you of course can use these
types of connections too as these two are even faster than Firewire.

So you may check this out as well as this will all be crucial to avoid errors and spinning balls finally.
Again if you were running it all from your one internal/OS drive only in the past successfully
(maybe even from a slower drive than a 7200rpm drive!) you were just lucky and it was accidental and
only a matter of time when troubles would show up finally.

Pro Tools simply was not meant to be working properly on such kind of set up. It´s got it´s requirements
to work as it is supposed to.

Cheers.