Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Computer not recognizing Mbox Mini

Blue light special problem... My Mbox Mini 3G has been working flawlessly for 2 1/2 years using PT Express on an HP Pavilion dv6-6c10 entertainment laptop (windows 7) and then stopped working. Even though the blue light comes on every time the usb is inserted, the computer doesn't even recognize that a usb has been inserted - no audio error message, nothing. I've tried all the fixes mentioned on a variety of threads; reloaded programs from the original CD; got the latest online Mini driver; tried running as an Administrator - nothing works. Leads me to believe that the electronics are fried but that for some reason the power circuit still works. Can anyone confirm my hunch?

Also, I've loved working with PT E; but not sure what to do next. Would like to continue using the program but I need a new interface. Do I need to find another mini or will something else work?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Help Please! Unable to locate hardware

Is there some test or way to get the computer to at least recognize that a usb (attached to the mini) has been inserted?

A little more info - the latest driver has the control panel that shows the mini as not connected and not streaming; doesn't show up in device manager either.

Or could it be that some software was compromised and everything has to be deleted and reinstalled? Could someone indicate whether it's worth the time and effort to do that. I really don't want to give up on PTE; It's been awesome up to now...
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Computer not recognizing Mbox Mini

The easiest test is to connect it to another computer to see if it does the same thing there. Be sure to try another USB cable as well, in the slim chance it has failed. If the Mbox still doesnt work on another computer, then you'll either have to get it repaired or buy a new interface. If it does work, then we'll have to narrow down what the issue is with your computer.

Side note, please don't post the same post on multiple (ancient) threads. It is best to start your own and include all the system details possible.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

Thanks for responding so promptly - and sorry for posting on other threads; but I've gotten such fantastic use out of my PTE I was heartbroken when the mini stopped working. And yes, I plugged it into my wife's Mac with two different usb cords that I know work and there was absolutely no indication from the computer that anything had happened - but the blue light went on. It probably needs repair, right? If so, where should I send it, and could you provide a rough range of what I can expect in terms of cost? I thought briefly of upgrading to Pro Tools but PTE has been ideal for me and I don't have the funds right now to get a whole new system. Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM

I would say that yes it has a hardware fault that will need repair. I couldn't give a cost estimate, but here are the Avid repair centres: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en210711

Best guess is that it will probably be more cost effective to purchase a new interface to be honest.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-07-2017, 06:39 AM

Thanks Joel - truly appreciate the help