Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM

Default Day 1 on Pro Tools HD 12... all good.

If you followed what Avid said, there are plenty new thing hidden under the surface.
And the better performance is the proof of this..
The last 11.3.. Version are only some weeks old, if it was a simple bug fix they'd implement it in that release too.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Day 1 on Pro Tools HD 12... all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
I have no video problems on my system, works just as good in PT as in Logic X. Just to be clear I'm on native,'it's the same software but not the HD license. I was furious the day they released 12 and it wasn't in my account to download, but luckily I had the license on my ilok already so all I needed was a download. I got it the same day. And like many have reported here it works much better than 11, you can call it bug fixes, PT 11.4 etc.. Really don't matter, I only care about it being better. Like reported no dropouts, CPU spikes, faster load time, more responsive etc..not really important what they call it. The new release is mostly about the new update plan and I'm fine with that. Even for HD users 599$ isn't that bad, you know it already so just put aside 50$ a month.. If you can afford a HDX system that's not a problem.
I haven't met anyone yet that has said that hitting play in a PT11HD session with vision is as quick as it was with PT10HD.... Yes, it makes a difference!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM

A link please. Some sort of proof. I can't find anything about your special under-the-hood enhancements that you seem to think exist, and it certainly doesn't feel any quicker (or any slower) than PT11.3.

there is nothing about any under-the-hood enhancements here : http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...tware/Features

You sure you're not just making this up?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
A link please. Some sort of proof. I can't find anything about your special under-the-hood enhancements that you seem to think exist, and it certainly doesn't feel any quicker (or any slower) than PT11.3.

It's really easy, try it..
If you read most of the comments for guys hear who have used it, they are mostly positive.
All the rest are either angry because the have problems getting it. Waiting for licenses and downloads.
Or because they don't like the new support plan being forced on them.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM

That's not a link, nor proof. Chop chop matey. Otherwise everyone on this board is going to think you're a dIck.

I'm using PT12 right now. Like right this second. I also have PT11 on a separate drive, so I can totally compare like-for-like.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
That's not a link, nor proof. Chop chop matey. Otherwise everyone on this board is going to think you're a dIck.

I'm using PT12 right now. Like right this second. I also have PT11 on a separate drive, so I can totally compare like-for-like.

And you find no difference in performance?
It was a dramatic difference on my MacBook Pro 2012 with Yosemite. Do you have Yosemite?
Did you compare 11.3 on Yosemite vs 12 on Yosemite?
I had lots of problems on 11 even on 10.9.5. dropouts, CPU spikes, etc..
I might be a dick, lol..
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
The last 11.3.. Version are only some weeks old, if it was a simple bug fix they'd implement it in that release too.
Not nesser celery

I believe Avid were obliged to release new product inside q1 of 2015. Something to do with corporate law and the like.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM

I'm very pleased to hear the stability feedback in 12. However, I do find it EXTREMELY odd that if this is because of a major rewritten code base, that Avid have not said a single word about it, or even dropped a hint as far as I know. So I too would be very curious to read any link that anyone has on this.

I'm not saying nothing has changed, just how odd it is that Avid haven't thought to tell anyone about it. If you were faced with selling PT12 where all the new features aren't ready except a) a new splash screen b) a new I/O page and c) a totally rewritten code base giving vastly superior performance and stability, wouldn't you push C just a little bit? As opposed to saying "hey everyone, look over there! Elephants!"

Being as Avid have yet again run to the hills on this forum (excepting stiriing efforts getting individual licenses sorted), we're all guessing here. My own guess is that they fixed a bunch of bugs which we'd normally read about if this were called 11.4.0, but since its called 12.0 you can't put bug fixes in the changelog. All of which makes the situation for those staying on 11 rather more irritating - Avid needs to release a real 11.4 with all those bugs fixed (and plenty more besides of course).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

We all know most of us will keep on using PT, and if one acknowledge this the update plan and going forward with v12 is a no brainer.
Complaining here will not change Avid's plans for the future. They will stick to the plan made, and they know most of us will come around in the end..Are they forcing this on us? Yes, but in the end most of us will keep calm and carry on. The storm is already calming down compared to the first days after the release.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Well, thanks to the various reports on this forum about solved VI problems and improved threading and performance, I decided not to waist my time on figuring out wether or not to upgrade and decided to get PT 12.

I did some extensive testing and cannot come to any other conclusion than that the reports on faster loading, better performance and stability are pure nonsense.
PT 12 == PT 11 with some preparations to lay out a platform. Nothing more, nothing less.

I get the same memory leak issues in 12 as I have in 11. 100% reproducible. Just open a session with some VI's and open the performance/memory monitor. Then reload the same session a few times and watch the memory usage go up with every reload until you get an out of memory message. Same on both.

Then I opened a session with 16 VI's, amongst them SSD4, Omnisphere, Kontakt,... and started to replace the VI on a single channel by another one. And repeat this. Simply opening Nexus 2 after Massive on the same insert crash PT 11 and PT 12 over and over again. Not repeatable in any other DAW I have, which are Studio One 2.6.5, Cubase 6.5, 7.5, 8 and Logic X

The loading times of this session are exactly the same. And thread distribution is 100% identical. Same total CPU usage, same gaussian distribution over my 8 cores where core 4 gets 2 to 3 times the load send to core 1 and 8.

Switching between PT 11 and PT 12 (I renamed PT 11 to 'Protools 11' before installing PT 12), messes up my selected hardware device, which is very annoying.

Very, very disappointed... but there is one upside: my iLok account not only shows a perpetual license for 10,11 and 12. It also lists Protools 2016 !
So this also answers an earlier question I saw somewhere, wether or not they will skip PT 13 for PT 14

Mac Pro 2009, 16Gb, UAD2, OSX 10.10.2
PT 11.3.1, PT 12.0.0