Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Default RANT - "but his mixes are louder than yours..."

Gotta vent --

Doing an album for a major label for star talent -- except one song from another producer...

Artist sends me email: "But producer #2's mixes are much louder than yours..."

My answer:
Quote:
Ask #2 if he's putting any mastering plugs on his mix bus? If he is, it limits what the mastering engineer can do.
Some guys do this, and mastering engineers usually hate it.
I have the same tools as everyone else, and I choose to let the ME do something for the $$$.
I also prefer to make mastering a separate creative step in the process. Some guys try to master in the mix. I think this a recent trend that has led to less and less dynamics in the music. Part of this is that labels are not paying for mastering anymore, so for many, many projects, we (#2, me, others like us) HAVE to master in the mix...
HOWEVER for your album, we have a great mastering engineer booked, and in my opinion, we should let him do his job.
IF #2 is putting the master bus though a chain of mastering plugs, I'm gonna respectfully request that he also print mixes without the mastering on the 2MIX, and let our ME do his job.
And #2 claims this chain is for "artistic" purposes. #2 is my friend. Can I slap him?