Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Recall Reason song/rack when Rewired

I've long had a love/hate relationship with Reason rewired into PT. Love the sounds but the Rewire implementation drives me batty. Being that I don't use the combo on a regular basis and like many things if you don't use it you lose it - I'm trying to remember if it's possible to have a PT session automatically recall the Reason song/rack used in a PT session when opening said session in PT? And if so how? Google doesn't seem to come up with anything on this particular thing.

edit for additional:
PT 11.3.2
Reason 8.x

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Recall Reason song/rack when Rewired

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I've long had a love/hate relationship with Reason rewired into PT. Love the sounds but the Rewire implementation drives me batty. Being that I don't use the combo on a regular basis and like many things if you don't use it you lose it - I'm trying to remember if it's possible to have a PT session automatically recall the Reason song/rack used in a PT session when opening said session in PT? And if so how? Google doesn't seem to come up with anything on this particular thing.

edit for additional:
PT 11.3.2
Reason 8.x

Not that I know of. PT will, of course, remember that Reason was open, but you will have to go into Reason and open the Reason session you want. Likewise, you must save any changes you make in the rack as a Reason session.

One thing I've started doing, because it seems to make things go a bit easier, is when I'm done working on the session using Reason, I save it in Reason, then I make Reason inactive, save the PT session. Then when I reopen the PT session it will open a bit quicker, and then I reactivate Reason when I'm ready to. Somehow, things seem to go smoother that way.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not that I know of. PT will, of course, remember that Reason was open, but you will have to go into Reason and open the Reason session you want. Likewise, you must save any changes you make in the rack as a Reason session.

One thing I've started doing, because it seems to make things go a bit easier, is when I'm done working on the session using Reason, I save it in Reason, then I make Reason inactive, save the PT session. Then when I reopen the PT session it will open a bit quicker, and then I reactivate Reason when I'm ready to. Somehow, things seem to go smoother that way.
Thanks as I was wondering if my addled brain was forgetting something - seems not. It's a shame the Reason session isn't recalled when the PT session is opened like would happen when working with VEPro. I understand about having to save any rack changes to Reason in it.

I'm unsure about your last paragraph. Are you saying you make the PT Instrument track that has Reason on it inactive? I can see that it would make the PT session open quicker; besides the Reason bit might not even be needed.

Sure is a lot easier dealing with Reason rewired into PT than it is with Digital Performer. There the Rewire protocol isn't called up as such. I have to call up Reason manually then create a MIDI track to feed MIDI to Reason and then create an aux or audio track to receive the audio back from Reason. And the next time I open the DP session I have to manually call up Reason. Never mind the rigamarole one has to go through if feeding the MIDI from that one DP track to more than one place in Reason.

BTW I'm still on the fence about the R10 upgrade.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'm unsure about your last paragraph. Are you saying you make the PT Instrument track that has Reason on it inactive? I can see that it would make the PT session open quicker; besides the Reason bit might not even be needed....
....BTW I'm still on the fence about the R10 upgrade.

Yes, I simply make Reason inactive on the instrument track it sits on in PT before I save and close PT.

Typically, I create an instrument track I call "Reason Main", and put Reason on that. Then, I'll create an AUX track in PT to receive the audio from each separate rack module from Reason via Rewire. With the "Commit" feature in PT, its now so easy to convert any Reason part to audio, once I'm happy with the part. Just gotta remember to name all the tracks properly BEFORE committing!!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I simply make Reason inactive on the instrument track it sits on in PT before I save and close PT.

Typically, I create an instrument track I call "Reason Main", and put Reason on that. Then, I'll create an AUX track in PT to receive the audio from each separate rack module from Reason via Rewire. With the "Commit" feature in PT, its now so easy to convert any Reason part to audio, once I'm happy with the part. Just gotta remember to name all the tracks properly BEFORE committing!!
Understood.

But what's your routing when you feed MIDI from PT into a Reason Combinator (assuming you use one)? I find that if I just go from PT into the Combinator name path like I mentioned earlier that Reason only responds to note ons but not cc's like cc7. To do that I have to add the second path I talked about. Try this: create an Instrument track in PT and insert Reason. In Reason call up one of the stock Combinator patches. Enter a bunch of notes on the track in PT along with a few cc7 control values. Route into Reason, hit play in PT and more likely than not Reason won't respond to the cc7's. Without a Combinator only a single routing for MIDI from PT is needed to get what's in the rack to respond to notes and cc7's.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Understood.

But what's your routing when you feed MIDI from PT into a Reason Combinator (assuming you use one)? I find that if I just go from PT into the Combinator name path like I mentioned earlier that Reason only responds to note ons but not cc's like cc7. To do that I have to add the second path I talked about. Try this: create an Instrument track in PT and insert Reason. In Reason call up one of the stock Combinator patches. Enter a bunch of notes on the track in PT along with a few cc7 control values. Route into Reason, hit play in PT and more likely than not Reason won't respond to the cc7's. Without a Combinator only a single routing for MIDI from PT is needed to get what's in the rack to respond to notes and cc7's.

Okay, I think I understand what you're asking. First of all, do you have the Reason MIDI Implementation Chart? You will note that CC7 isn't enabled on the Combinator. That's because of the way Combinator works. You are in effect combining several individual VIs and/or fx in one unit. So not all MIDI CC's will work the same. But notice that you can assign various functions to one of the 4 control knobs in Combinator. So, set those up to control whatever you want CC7 to control on the Combinator, and then you can create a MIDI control lane on the PT MIDI Track assigned to that. That's how I would do it.

ITs the very structure of how Combinator works that prohibits you just using CC7 directly with it. Notice that CC7 is active for individual VI's in the chart.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Okay, I think I understand what you're asking. First of all, do you have the Reason MIDI Implementation Chart? You will note that CC7 isn't enabled on the Combinator. That's because of the way Combinator works. You are in effect combining several individual VIs and/or fx in one unit. So not all MIDI CC's will work the same. But notice that you can assign various functions to one of the 4 control knobs in Combinator. So, set those up to control whatever you want CC7 to control on the Combinator, and then you can create a MIDI control lane on the PT MIDI Track assigned to that. That's how I would do it.

ITs the very structure of how Combinator works that prohibits you just using CC7 directly with it. Notice that CC7 is active for individual VI's in the chart.

Hope that helps a little.
Still a dumb implementation and documentation. They mention nothing of this in the Reason manual section on Combinators. They could have assigned the what I would call the master Combinator fader (the one that's a horizontal fader at the top of said Combinator) to cc7. I don't want to have to mess with control lanes in PT but rather just use the cc7 messages in a MIDI track that get recorded as I play in music. Say I record something with just Thor but find a Combinator patch that I like better - should I have to make changes in PT just to accomadate that?

Using a synth in Patchwork doesn't mean I have to change MIDI routing just because said synth is now in a Patchwork matrix. The Combinator should be the same.

I don't want to control every synth in a Combinator for volume - just the overall level.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 AM

How about the reason mixer channel fader for that combinator?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
How about the reason mixer channel fader for that combinator?
Could try that but I find it simpler to route to the horizontal fader that's in the Combinator collapsed header. I try not to mess with the Reason mixer as much as possible.

Got other thoughts on Reason 10 and will start a new thread on that.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Could try that but I find it simpler to route to the horizontal fader that's in the Combinator collapsed header. I try not to mess with the Reason mixer as much as possible.

Got other thoughts on Reason 10 and will start a new thread on that.

But that horizontal fader IS the mixer fader.