How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 03:22 AM

Default HD12.7.1 stability insights

Hi,

For background I am a career PTHD user of ten years, running my own commercial studios and travelling to various studio's.

I recently overhauled my age'ing PT10 system and traded up to a HDX1 running PT12.7.1 on a 5,1 MacPro 3.06 12-core, 48gb ram running OS10.12.3.

I'm having chronic issues with the instability on this system, main ones listed below;
  • 'Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit' - this happens at random but I can re-create it consistently under certain condtions eg. trying to import session data from a session containing plugins. I was able to work around it by first importing data mins plugins, and then importing only plugin assignment and setting data.
  • 9171 and 9173 errors. This can happen on sessions with barely any tracks or heavy sessions with 50+ tracks. Monitoring system usage shows CPU usage to fluctuate from 10-60% regardless of session size, when using the HDX playback engine. When switching to onboard playback engine, usage drops to <10%.

I have been through various topics on DUC and have some points of discussion/questions that I wanted to put forward.
  1. Is OS10.12.3 known to be unstable? Avid compatibility chart lists 10.12.2 as qualified but not .3 - any experiences?
  2. Does the increased usage on the HDX playback engine point to any particular culprit of the errors on my system?
  3. I am running an unqualifed AMD Radeon 5780 GPU, which takes up both PCI-e power sockets on the motherboard. I am using an E-Sata > Molex adapter from one of the HDD bays on the motherboard then going to the supplied Avid Molex > 4pin connector cable to power the HDX card. Could this feasibly be causing an issue?
  4. The main system drive is an Anglebird 256GB SSD, and the recording drive is a Seagate HDD running at 5900RPM. Could this drive be causing crashing/CPU error issues by being a) too slow and/or b) too full?

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers

Al

Last edited by algroves; 04-07-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Re: HD12.7.1 stability insights

at a glance, your HDD spinner running at 5900rpm is likely the cause of most of your issues, 7200rpm is the base minimum... if PT can't retrieve the data fast enough {made worse if the HDD is fragmented} it'll kick up all sorts of errors.

Start there and report back, 7200rpm data drive a pretty cheap these days and work well, just make sure there's no power management built into the drive firmware, if the drive spins down and goes to sleep, it'll cause issues as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:34 PM

Not sure how many third party plugs you use but you need to update them to their latest versions.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Not sure how many third party plugs you use but you need to update them to their latest versions.
This.

EVERY SINGLE TIME you update either PT or operating system, you should really go through all of your plugins and check for new versions.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 PM

True about the old plug ins. And they can cause problems whether you're using them, or not. The slow drive could be a problem but I often use 5400RPM drives without problems as long as they're USB3 and the session is not too large.

Steve
Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algroves View Post
Hi,

For background I am a career PTHD user of ten years, running my own commercial studios and travelling to various studio's.

I recently overhauled my age'ing PT10 system and traded up to a HDX1 running PT12.7.1 on a 5,1 MacPro 3.06 8-core, 48gb ram running OS10.12.3.

I'm having chronic issues with the instability on this system, main ones listed below;
  • 'Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit' - this happens at random but I can re-create it consistently under certain condtions eg. trying to import session data from a session containing plugins. I was able to work around it by first importing data mins plugins, and then importing only plugin assignment and setting data.
  • 9171 and 9173 errors. This can happen on sessions with barely any tracks or heavy sessions with 50+ tracks. Monitoring system usage shows CPU usage to fluctuate from 10-60% regardless of session size, when using the HDX playback engine. When switching to onboard playback engine, usage drops to <10%.

I have been through various topics on DUC and have some points of discussion/questions that I wanted to put forward.
  1. Is OS10.12.3 known to be unstable? Avid compatibility chart lists 10.12.2 as qualified but not .3 - any experiences?
  2. Does the increased usage on the HDX playback engine point to any particular culprit of the errors on my system?
  3. I am running an unqualifed AMD Radeon 5780 GPU, which takes up both PCI-e power sockets on the motherboard. I am using an E-Sata > Molex adapter from one of the HDD bays on the motherboard then going to the supplied Avid Molex > 4pin connector cable to power the HDX card. Could this feasibly be causing an issue?
  4. The main system drive is an Anglebird 256GB SSD, and the recording drive is a Seagate HDD running at 5900RPM. Could this drive be causing crashing/CPU error issues by being a) too slow and/or b) too full?

Cheers

Al
I have a very similar HDX2 system based on the 2012 Mac Pro 12core at 3.06GHz, 48GB RAM, 2x 512GB SSD (Apple). I'm using the WD Black 6TB drives for recording run on a PCIe seated eSATA card (4 port eSATA). I've got a Magma 3 Slot PCIe expander for the HDX cards and I'm also running 2 UAD Octos (1 card seated in the chassis with the HDX cards, the second in the Mac Pro).

I've partitioned my boot drive (a 512 Apple SSD) into 2 256GB partitions. One (MAIN) has macOS 10.11.6 and PT 12.6.1, the second (APLHA) has macOS 10.12.3 and PT 12.7.

I don't use Sierra (ALPHA) in my any of my work. I find it unstable and running the same session on both partitions, the session on Sierra uses about 10-15% more Native CPU than the EC partition. As I do the occasional MIDI track, I'm also partial to PT 12.6.1 as it handles MIDI without the compensation errors of 12.7.1.

To be clear - both partitions (MAIN & ALPHA) have current versions of all plugs and both partitions plug directions are exact matches.

I'm waiting for the next version of PT to see if they fix the MIDI issues (again) and see what macOS it pairs with.

Meanwhile - my own anecdotal experience is that on Xeon based Mac Pros, EC 10.11.6 is the best performer. YMMV.

Good luck!
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 04-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algroves View Post
Hi,

I recently overhauled my age'ing PT10 system and traded up to a HDX1 running PT12.7.1 on a 5,1 MacPro 3.06 8-core, 48gb ram running OS10.12.3.

Cheers

Al
On a side note, I strongly recommend upgrading your computer to a 12 core. I'm more than happy to help. PM me if interested.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
On a side note, I strongly recommend upgrading your computer to a 12 core. I'm more than happy to help. PM me if interested.
My mistake, I'm already on an 12 core.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This.

EVERY SINGLE TIME you update either PT or operating system, you should really go through all of your plugins and check for new versions.
Hi,

This was a totally fresh install on a brand new machine, and all the plugin/software installers were downloaded fresh from the manufacturers websites. So I'm assuming they are all the most current versions.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Barry, did you used to sell Amway?!!!?

totally joking BTW!!

whoever sells those upgrade kits owes you a commission!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.