Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 10:02 AM

Default PCIe accel windows xp support

Hi Digi can you tell me when this would be supported for PC as i wouldnt mind upgrading form mixcpre to PCIe on the PC.
thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: PCIe accel windows xp support

This is a user forum, not answered by anyone at Digidesign (though they monitor and accasionally get involved, but not often).

To ask Digi a question, email their support group, or their pre-sales group.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi!
As Steve said, Pre-sales would be one step. Also, of you are upgrading from Mix, and are going to to a trade-in, you might want to mention this to the pre-sales rep.

Next concern: What system are you looking at? This is important, since there are no PC/XP motherboards that currently have slots to support an HD3 internally; you would need to use an expansion chassis to attain this, and then you would be using the current PCI HD cards, not the PCIe ones anyway.

The PCIe cards were rushed out to meet the needs of new Mac purchasers. There really is no need to support XP at this time, due to the reason I stated above. There are many motherboards that have enough PCI slots to do an HD4 internally, and possibly an HD5! For those looking for the ultimate in host CPU power (dual core, dual CPU), there are several choices that will staisfy this, and allow for a pretty smooth transition into 64-bit app support, once available.

PCIe support does NOTHING for performance with PT HD. Using the new Digi Expansion/HD chassis can provide enhanced HD support, while sacrificing RTAS performance somewhat. With the decent selection of motherboards for any CPU powered desire (now venerable and well-regarded ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe setup with average CPU power, right up to powerhouse AMD and Xeon powerhouses) that do not require PCIe, there just isnt call for XP support...yet.

On the other hand, I can see where you are coming from. You waited this long to upgrade from Mix, and with the inevitability of PCIe phasing out PCI entirely in the future (how near, really?), why spend on the PCI version, when the PCIe version will be what you will ultimately want in 2-3 years? I have been HD on XP for almost 4 years now. And I do not see myself swapping in for PCIe HD cards anytime in the near future. Maybe another 4 years. Maybe not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks guys for your response i guess the reason is practically every new motherboard now has PCIe slots. So far its about half and half but it is getting to a stage when it will be needed and pretty soon. I want to upgrade sometime this year for 1 my computer and 2 might as well go up to a pcie future proof card which btw is also an accel card. I will ring customer sevrices and ask them.

Thanks anyway